Prior to the recent Seahawks Super Bowl victory, a study conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute found that roughly half of the American public believed that God would determine the game’s winner. The report also found that roughly 25% of Americans pray that God will push their team towards victory. That’s right; forget genocide, poverty, disease, and oppression, God, for at least a few hours, would focus on the all important Super Bowl. Sound ridiculous? It should.
On the other hand, if God did choose the winner, what message was the man upstairs trying to get across? Clearly, if God played a role, he must be telling us to become a more progressive country. Why else would God propel these two teams to the Super Bowl in the first place? First off, both the Broncos and Seahawks hail from the only two states that have legalized marijuana for recreational use. Second, President Obama won both states twice and they each have a Democratic governor and two Democratic U.S. Senators. If you believe God cares about who makes it to the Super Bowl, this could be compelling evidence.
In the end, only one team can be the victor. So why would God choose the Seahawks over the Broncos? Could it be that Payton Manning (the losing quarterback) endorsed Mitt Romney in 2012? The Broncos loss might also be interpreted as punishment for the recall of two Democratic state senators who voted for more responsible gun laws.
But God’s message is one of hope. The Seahawk victory couldn’t solely have been punishment for Manning’s bad judgment or the State’s support of NRA priorities. Perhaps God is giving progressivism the thumbs up. The proof is in the pudding.
1) Washington has a Democratic Governor, Jay Inslee
2) 2 female Democratic Senators, Patty Murray & Maria Cantwell
3) 60% of the State’s House members are Democrats
4) A Democratically controlled state legislature.
5) Washington State has one of the highest minimum wages at $9.32 per hour and Governor Inslee is proposing to increase it.
6) The city of SeaTac in Washington has a minimum wage of $15 dollars per hour.
7) A recent businessinsider.com article ranked Washington the 7th most liberal state in the country.
8) According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Washington has the 4th highest rate of workers represented by a Union.
9) Washington is one of 17 states with legalized same-sex marriage.
10) Seattle recently elected a Socialist to the city council.
11) One of a few states with a “death with dignity” law.
12) Passed a law to rewrite state law so that it is gender neutral
13) Governor Inslee has proposed an additional $200 million in funding for public education that would be paid for by closing tax loopholes.
Lest you think that conservatives would ever draw such a conclusion on their own, look no further than WorldNetDaily where it was explained that this was revenge for the dismissal of the Saintly Tim Tebow.