One thing that always appealed to me about the movie Steel Magnolias was its intense Southern-ness, typified by the following exchange, in which Ouiser Boudreaux brings tomatoes to her friends.
Clairee: Why do you give all these to me?(I couldn't find the entire quotation at a single site. The first part was found here.)
Ouiser Boudreaux: Somebody's gotta take em, I hate em, I try not to eat healthy food if I can possibly help it.
Part II of this exchange below the fold! But, first, a word from our sponsor ...
|Top Comments recognizes the previous day's Top Mojo and strives to promote each day's outstanding comments through nominations made by Kossacks like you. Please send comments (before 9:30pm ET) by email to email@example.com or by our KosMail message board. Just click on the Spinning Top to make a submission. Look for the Spinning Top to pop up in diaries around Daily Kos.
Make sure that you include the direct link to the comment (the URL), which is available by clicking on that comment's date/time. Please let us know your Daily Kos user name if you use email so we can credit you properly. If you send a writeup with the link, we can include that as well. The diarist reserves the right to edit all content.
Please come in. You're invited to make yourself at home! Join us beneath the fleur de kos...
Anelle: "Then why do you grow them?"(Second part from here.)
Ouiser: "Because I'm an old Southern woman and we're supposed to wear funny looking hats and ugly clothes and grow vegetables in the dirt. Don't ask me those questions. I don't know why, I don't make the rules!"
Growing tomatoes isn’t the only perfunctory thing. I think about others when dramatic wintry weather is forecast for us like it is now.
My brother-in-law from Salt Lake City just moved here. We got a bit less than an inch of snow last week, and he was astonished that they let school out before the first flake fell. I’ve been telling him about this kind of thing for years. Some years ago, when he and my sister visited, once again, snow was forecast. I had told him that it isn’t at all uncommon for people to start crashing the moment the ’s’ word is used in a radio broadcast. One of the obligations of being a Southerner in snowy or icy weather is, as soon as they announce it, you’re supposed to slam on the brakes and swerve into a ditch!
It is the meteorological manifestation of the phenomenon Ouiser described so clearly in Steel Magnolias. So, my brother-in-law and sister flew in to the local airport, rented a car, and scarcely got off the airport property onto the freeway when, sure enough, there was a car almost on its side in a ditch. Not one flake had yet fallen.
Not a flake has yet fallen in this forecast - and the forecast for tonight and tomorrow isn’t that scary - but school is already called off for tomorrow.
It takes some getting used to.
Kathy and I just got back from the grocery store. That’s another thing - the moment they forecast a winter storm, you HAVE to run out to the store and buy milk, bread and toilet paper. I don’t know why, I don’t make the rules! The theory I have always had is that people lock themselves away and start sculpting a uniquely Southern version of papier-mâché, edible in a pinch.
Strange, I know, but you just have to do it.
(Wish us luck!) On to tonight’s comments! Collated and formatted by brillig!
Brillig's ObDisclaimer: The decision to publish each nomination lies with the evening's Diarist and/or Comment Formatter. My evenings at the helm, I try reeeeallllyy hard to publish everything without regard to content. I really do, even when I disagree personally with any given nomination. "TopCommentness" lies in the eyes of the nominator and of you, the reader - I leave the decision to you. I do not publish self-nominations (ie your own comments) and if I ruled the world, we'd all build community, supporting and uplifting instead of tearing our fellow Kossacks down.
From TerryDarc:Please accept this terrific little personal story by hannah from Sunday's Abbreviated Pundit Round-Up.
(brillig's note: this was meant for last night's TC but link info prevented us getting it in until now)
From HCKAD:CatM's comment on Tim Armstrong/AOL CEO in FiredUpInCA's diary couldn't have been said better!
From LOrion:This comment by Reetz from Hunter's Reince Priebus on Hillary Clinton: 'Everything's on the table' is tops.
From mrsgoo:Mets102 wrote a great diary detailing the difference between R and D governance using the push on the NY side to raise airport workers wages and contrasting that to how the NJ side does not want to raise wage. This little thread between weatherdude and the diarist has it all! Politics, Weather and Bob Dylan. Had me cracking up.
Flagged by Yasuragi, this comment by Kitsap River is a fine attempt at communication and understanding. Well written!
Top Mojo for yesterday, February 9th, first comments and tip jars excluded. Thank you mik for the mojo magic! For those of you interested in How Top Mojo Works, please see his diary FAQing Top Mojo.
1) Monsterousness of the CEO class... by richardak — 185
2) Aren't we fortunate to be alive... by BenderRodriguez — 85
3) THIS is not at all amusing: by flitedocnm — 85
4) Denise is still returning from North Carolina, by Yasuragi — 82
5) It's amazing to me to see this video and remember by Hanging Up My Tusks — 80
6) And Effective Coping Mechanisms For PTSD... by leonard145b — 75
7) I have another reason by simple serf — 75
8) Oh Hai Whoknu! Sekritarmy's Powers Are Like Atlas: by leonard145b — 75
9) sekrit powerz by KrazyKitten — 74
10) Now with cute little otters! by kerflooey — 73
11) it is surreal, i had breast cancer couple years by Patriot Daily News Clearinghouse — 73
12) You're right by jbsoul — 72
13) The sekrit power! by arizonablue — 71
14) It's amusing looking at some of the reviews by AaronInSanDiego — 71
15) Sekritarmy will need by side pocket — 70
16) As someone who has struggled with weight by Timaeus — 69
17) One of the few times I actually by elmo — 67
18) :) I'm back - fired up and really tired by Denise Oliver Velez — 67
19) Hasn't anyone on television... by BenderRodriguez — 65
20) Atlas Shrugged Cafe by crystal eyes — 64
21) What a great diary! Just finished reading by Yasuragi — 63
22) Got me on how you can fail it... by Mark E Andersen — 63
23) Our parents warned us by The grouch — 63
24) I found a lump in my breast by MadRuth — 62
25) Oh Hai Kossacks! LOL: "A Housecat's Work Is..." by leonard145b — 62
26) I think it is a brave move to come out by Smoh — 62
27) sekrit power of replication by carolanne — 62
28) The house just isn't comfortable. by kerflooey — 60
29) The "oilgarchs" have got to have a space ship by ontheleftcoast — 59
30) I'd add the the video in the diary is also a sad by flitedocnm — 59
31) Nice to wake up to this by voicemail — 59
Top Pictures for yesterday, February 9th. Click any image to be taken to the full comment. Thank you jotter for the image magic!