Click here to add your name:No one should ever have to choose between paying rent or putting food on the table.
Yet, for far too many hard-working full-time employees, this choice is sometimes a hard reality.
In fact, according to the National Low Income Housing Coalition, a minimum wage employee can’t afford a two bedroom apartment without paying more than 30% of his or her income in rent -- and that’s simply not sustainable.
This week, the President signed an executive order to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour for federal contractors. This is an important first step, but you and I know there is still much to be done.
That’s why I am working with my Democratic colleagues in the Senate to call for a long overdue raise in the federal minimum wage for all workers.
Join us in supporting a raise in the federal minimum wage. Sign the petition today.
A higher minimum wage would boost pay for nearly 28 million low-income employees across this country by 2016 -- helping to lift tens of millions out of poverty and giving them a chance to get ahead.
Too many hard-working workers in Massachusetts and across this country are trapped in a vicious cycle of poverty because they can’t earn enough to make ends meet. Raising the minimum wage would help our low-income families work their way into the middle class, as well as strengthen our economy.
Our workers shouldn’t have to toil in multiple jobs just to barely pay the bills. Stand with me in calling for a raise in the federal minimum wage. Add your voice to mine and sign the petition today.
Thank you for showing your support, and for your activism on this important issue.
Received this e-mail today from Senator Ed Markey (D. MA) regarding raising the minimum wage:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Want the scoop on hot races around the country? Get the digest emailed to you each weekday morning. Sign up here .33 comments 1 Recs
- Republican Sen. Pat Toomey (left) faces a ...3 comments 2 Recs
- While the political press corps moans about how ...95 comments 51 Recs
- I wrote a diary last week about how Scott in ...14 comments 8 Recs
- You can watch it Live now. Why Bernie matters: A 2016 primary run by Bernie ...220 comments 229 Recs
- Sorry, Sen. Johnson. The House just doesn't care about your political prospects. Things are getting just slightly urgent for Republicans faced with the possibility that the Supreme Court will ...49 comments 31 Recs
- Fighting it to the end. Thanks to 14 Democrats joining all-but-five Senate Republicans in approving fast-track trade legislation last week, it's now up to the House, which is where most close ...93 comments 78 Recs
- No current results.