The administration's proposed 2015 budget reduces the National Nuclear Security Administration's $790 million in spending on nuclear nonproliferation programs by 20 percent, or $152 million. The cuts apply to NNSA programs that secure buildings containing fissile material, prevent the smuggling of radioactive material across borders, and convert nuclear reactors to use low-enriched uranium, which, unlike highly enriched uranium, cannot be used in nuclear warheads.
At the same time, the Obama budget increases the NNSA's spending on nuclear weapons systems by nearly 6 percent, or $445 million. This includes a $100 million increase for the "life extension" of the B61 nuclear gravity bomb, a Cold War-era weapon stationed mostly around Europe that many arms experts call outdated and unnecessary.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
BOHICA, Gooserock, Rachael7, TheMomCat, ek hornbeck, Lepanto, HairyTrueMan, gooderservice, Cassiodorus, NonnyO, psychodrew, Shahryar, poligirl, priceman, BigAlinWashSt, ffour, Johnny Q, Betty Pinson, allenjo, toby esterhase, quill, DeadHead, lunachickie, River Rover, Cadillac64
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by LaEscapee
- Welcome to The Breakfast Club! We're a disorganized group of rebel lefties who hang out and chat if and when we're not too hungover we've been bailed out we're not too exhausted from last night's (...43 comments 25 Recs
- I've always been reluctant to talk about my rape on this blog...for a lot of reasons. Because it's not easy to talk about or relive and who knows? But there was one thing I never expected. You see,1385 comments 77 Recs
- Yup. I love men. I'm a militant feminist, I'm a lesbian, I'm a woman in a male-dominated industry, but I love men. Yes, I've dealt with some misogynistic asshats. Yes, I've been sexually ...276 comments 256 Recs
- (I am a disabled veteran, long discharged. The following projects what my feelings would be if I were still in uniform today.) I am an American fighting man. I serve in the forces which guard my ...69 comments 125 Recs
- Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge an individual who has proven time and again to be a remarkably accurate prognosticator on events and issues large and small ...146 comments 214 Recs
- Bonus points today if you can find the connection between Captain Jack and Sebastian but I'll distract you further with a brief explanation of why I hate fiddles unless properly prepared. Fretless ...25 comments 19 Recs
- but I have to write it, to get it off my mind. I don't blame people for not wanting to take part in this conversation. But it really demands our attention. This is a hopeful diary because I believe ...36 comments 51 Recs
- and beyond Greenwald or Kerry or whoever else's "heroic" or "hateful" personality is all the buzz today... and as we approach the one year marker of the global surveillance disclosures aka the "...227 comments 96 Recs
- Welcome to The Breakfast Club! We're a disorganized group of rebel lefties who hang out and chat if and when we're not too hungover we've been bailed out we're not too exhausted from last night's (...21 comments 19 Recs
- Welcome to The Breakfast Club! We're a disorganized group of rebel lefties who hang out and chat if and when we're not too hungover we've been bailed out we're not too exhausted from last night's (...18 comments 21 Recs