Click here if you want to donate to Braley and Peters' campaigns:I've only been in the Senate for a little over a year now, but repeated Republican filibusters of legislation designed to lift people out of poverty is already getting old.
You might have already seen the news, but as of a few minutes ago, you can add raising the minimum wage to the list of bills blocked despite earning majority support.
It has me thinking... what will it take to breakthrough this unprecedented obstruction? And I think the answer is that we have to win a few tough races this November where raising the wage is a real campaign issue.
And there are two big ones that come to mind immediately: electing Gary Peters in Michigan and Bruce Braley in Iowa. They are each good friends from my time in the House, and both are squaring off against Tea Party darlings who would be sure to join in a filibuster the next time we vote to raise the minimum wage.Can I count on you to join me by splitting a $5 contribution between Bruce Braley (Iowa) and Gary Peter's (Michigan) U.S. Senate campaigns?
Raising the minimum wage should be a no-brainer, even in a divided Senate. The bill would lift millions out of poverty, reduce government spending on programs like food assistance, and support business by putting more money in the hands of customers.
A win for everyone - yet today, we lost.
Your contribution to these two must-win Senate campaigns will help ensure there's a different outcome next time this issue comes to a vote.
Thank you, again, for adding your contributions to mine.
All the best,
Received this e-mail today from Senator Chris Murphy (D. CT) in support of Reps. Bruce Braley (D. IA) and Gary Peters' (D. MI) U.S. Senate campaigns:
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Alaska sets new record for earliest day with temperatures in the 90s! Temperature in Alaska on the afternoon of May 23, 2015, based on data from NOAA's Real-time Mesoscale Unbelievable that ...129 comments 210 Recs
- New York, I love you, but you're freaking me out. I've been working full time and trying to find a place to live that I can afford and it is going nowhere. Bouncing back and forth between Brooklyn ...29 comments 70 Recs
- I meant to write this up a couple of weeks ago when Elizabeth Warren released a report called, "Broken Promises: Decades of Failure to Enforce Labor Standards in Free Trade Agreements" but, well, ...29 comments 31 Recs
- Rep. Matt Salmon is considering a primary campaign against John McCain On Tuesday, Democratic Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick announced that she would challenge Republican Sen. John McCain, but the senator ...8 comments 12 Recs
- Maryland Democrat John Delaney took to the Washington Post yesterday to make the argument that Democrats who are providing a "loud voice" on issues ...9 comments 16 Recs
- Earlier today, May 28th, the NC house cleared a gay marriage objections bill that allows court officials to opt out of same-sex marriage duties based on religious Objections “sincerely held”.7 comments 15 Recs
- The Justice Department has indicted former House Speaker Dennis Hastert on reporting evasion charges and lying to the FBI as part of an effort to pay off victims of “prior bad acts.” In an ...86 comments 112 Recs
- He's already won. Believe it or not (I didn't at first), Hillary's primary poll ...831 comments 157 Recs
- More popular than the jokers in the GOP side. Here is the ...374 comments 145 Recs
- The media are more interested in ...333 comments 332 Recs
- No current results.