Click here to add your name:You know the saying: “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.”
This is one of those times.
The far-right Republicans in the U.S. Senate dusted off their old playbook this week and twisted the filibuster rules to kill an increase in the minimum wage.
A majority of Senators voted for the bill – which I sponsored – because working families deserve a raise. A $10.10 minimum wage was our goal, and we had the votes.
But Republicans hid behind the filibuster to prevent an up-or-down vote and stop us from making progress on this issue. Their position isn't very popular - after all, polls show even a majority of Republicans support raising the minimum wage. But under the abuse of the rules, their 41 votes outweigh the 54 Senators who want to give Americans a raise.
It’s time to take the fight to them. Together, we led the effort to reform the filibuster and create a pathway for judicial nominees to move forward. This week's vote shows why we need to continue the fight for all our progressive values.
Please sign my petition to the entire U.S. Senate calling on them to do the right thing and reform the filibuster.
We’ve done it once, and we can do it again. This is the way we make progress on our issues and clear the path for working families.
Join us. Add your name today and let’s reform the filibuster together.
It’s time to get going. Thanks for your support.
Received this e-mail today from Senator Jeff Merkley (D. OR):
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Since Pope Francis came out last month telling Catholics that God will judge those who do not preserve the environemnt , it was a matter of time before the backlash from Republican aspirants became ...96 comments 65 Recs
- Fabulous, but still not running for president. Now is the time to talk about the Democratic presidential primary as it is, without all the what ifs. Well, it's been that time for a while, but ...117 comments 31 Recs
- Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet got some ...15 comments 6 Recs
- Under the First Amendment, you have the right to petition your government to redress your grievances. Now would be a good time to do that. Today. According to public reports, the 18 Democratic ...8 comments 50 Recs
- FTR, a 2007 Martin O'Malley and Harold Ford (!) column in defense of "the vital center" (and the DLC): Some liberals are so confident about Democratic prospects that they contend the centrism that ...10 comments 19 Recs
- Rep. John Delaney (D-Doofus) Holy crap this guy is a doofus.142 comments 88 Recs
- The gloves are off, the sides have been clearly drawn. It's the president, the Republican Party and business versus the people, workers, labor and most of the Democratic Party. And a top House ...85 comments 170 Recs
- Alaska sets new record for earliest day with temperatures in the 90s! Temperature in Alaska on the afternoon of May 23, 2015, based on data from NOAA's Real-time Mesoscale Unbelievable that ...133 comments 213 Recs
- New York, I love you, but you're freaking me out. I've been working full time and trying to find a place to live that I can afford and it is going nowhere. Bouncing back and forth between Brooklyn ...29 comments 71 Recs
- No current results.