- Today's comic by Matt Bors is New book contains shocker:
- Check out the list of panel topics for Netroots Nation 14: The ninth annual conference that began in 2006 as Yearly Kos takes place in Detroit this year July 17-20. The keynote speaker will be Sen. Elizabeth Warren. There will be 80 panels covering a wide range of issues and 40 training sessions. Plus the usual candidate receptions and comedy show. And a whole lot more.
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook May 6:
- Vietnam celebrates 60th anniversary of victory at Dien Bien Phu: The Vietnamese won the 1954 siege of 56 days when the French abandoned the fight and subsequently gave up Indochina after nearly a century of colonial rule.
- 16th century "vampire" burial found in Poland:
The body, which dates back to the 16th century, was unearthed during a dig in a marketplace in the town, situated in the West Pomeranian Province. As reported in Kamienskie.info, the team found unusual features which indicated the burial site was vampiric. The teeth, or "fangs" had been removed and a fragment of rock had been inserted into the mouth. In addition, his leg had been staked in order to prevent the body from rising from its grave.
- Climate assessment: Not just floods, heat waves, droughts and extreme storms to worry about. Oh, there will be plenty of that. But...
The greater threat, as outlined in the report, is that more frequent and fiercer natural disasters will begin to break down the technologies and implements of modern society, posing dangers not just to a few unfortunate disaster victims, but everyone who has become accustomed to clean water and a steady flow of power.
One section quietly details how disruptions like worsening heat waves and drought are already spurring "cascading events" that impact not just a single region or industry, but that are capable of causing water shortages, serious strains on the electrical grid, and severe damages to lives and livelihoods across the economic and social spectrum. Another highlights the now-omnipresent threat of city-wide "multiple systems failures."
- Did Boehner's face go from orange to red during this exchange?
- Polarization hurts Republican women:
There are more women in political office than ever, but the U.S. is not on the forefront of this change. In 2013, the U.S. Congress was 18% female which, internationally, places us in the middle of the pack.
The Democrats can boast better numbers than the Republicans, but it wasn’t always this way. At the Scholars Strategy Network, sociologist Danielle Thomsen observes that the Democratic party [... has increased female representation much quicker than the Republicans [...] but only since the ’80s or so.
- In report, Nobel scientists urge an end to drug wars:
"The pursuit of a militarized and enforcement-led global ‘war on drugs’ strategy has produced enormous negative outcomes and collateral damage," says the 82-page report. "These include mass incarceration in the US, highly repressive policies in Asia, vast corruption and political destabilization in Afghanistan and West Africa, immense violence in Latin America, an HIV epidemic in Russia, an acute global shortage of pain medication and the propagation of systematic human rights abuses around the world."
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin on dismantling anti-ACA talking points. Calculating Medicaid resistance in Benghazi units. Joan McCarter with elections news, Dem response to the Bonkersghazi committee, and the new round of fast food strikes.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, HoundDog, BeninSC, JeffW, LinSea, wintergreen8694, enhydra lutris, Joe Jackson, DRo, Eric Nelson, This old man, belinda ridgewood
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- happy birthday to me as well. May 26 2002 May 26 ...20 comments 25 Recs
- "What's for dinner?" is a regular refrain around Casa Brillig. For the most part, my status as the at-home parent means I am the Dinner Decider. We've got a short set of meals I make often, for ...62 comments 51 Recs
- Last week, I noted that the number of ACA exchange-based QHP selections has officially passed the 12 million mark nationally. I also mentioned that: Of course, when you throw in the missing tax ...8 comments 20 Recs
- This is a message to activists trying to fight the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). Stop calling the TPP a "trade" agreement. TPP is a corporate/investor rights agreement, not a "trade" agreement. "...11 comments 38 Recs
- It's been a while and we need to regroup, discuss the state of affairs, come up with new ideas and have fun. On the fun side, we are going to try a potluck A potluck is a gathering of people where ...8 comments 14 Recs
- The NYC Kossacks welcomed both peregrine kate and asterkitty to Spitzer's Corner on a gorgeous Spring day. As usual, it was a great group of Kossacks with fabulous food and terrific conversation.78 comments 48 Recs
- Come oh come ye tea-thirsty restless ones -- the kettle boils, bubbles and sings, musically. ~ Rabindranath ...75 comments 42 Recs
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...50 comments 26 Recs
- Thoughts about Black Kos, (with a poll) Commentary by Black Kos Editor Denise Oliver-Velez After reading and responding to many of the detailed and thoughtful comments, in " How ...228 comments 72 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12411)
- Afghanistan (11509)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25059)
- Community (91338)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2398)
- Economy (56264)
- eKos (12467)
- Environment (46276)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15116)
- Jobs (12483)
- Labor (28704)
- Libya (4270)