- Today's comic by Matt Bors is New book contains shocker:
- Check out the list of panel topics for Netroots Nation 14: The ninth annual conference that began in 2006 as Yearly Kos takes place in Detroit this year July 17-20. The keynote speaker will be Sen. Elizabeth Warren. There will be 80 panels covering a wide range of issues and 40 training sessions. Plus the usual candidate receptions and comedy show. And a whole lot more.
- These Daily Kos community posts were the most shared on Facebook May 6:
- Vietnam celebrates 60th anniversary of victory at Dien Bien Phu: The Vietnamese won the 1954 siege of 56 days when the French abandoned the fight and subsequently gave up Indochina after nearly a century of colonial rule.
- 16th century "vampire" burial found in Poland:
The body, which dates back to the 16th century, was unearthed during a dig in a marketplace in the town, situated in the West Pomeranian Province. As reported in Kamienskie.info, the team found unusual features which indicated the burial site was vampiric. The teeth, or "fangs" had been removed and a fragment of rock had been inserted into the mouth. In addition, his leg had been staked in order to prevent the body from rising from its grave.
- Climate assessment: Not just floods, heat waves, droughts and extreme storms to worry about. Oh, there will be plenty of that. But...
The greater threat, as outlined in the report, is that more frequent and fiercer natural disasters will begin to break down the technologies and implements of modern society, posing dangers not just to a few unfortunate disaster victims, but everyone who has become accustomed to clean water and a steady flow of power.
One section quietly details how disruptions like worsening heat waves and drought are already spurring "cascading events" that impact not just a single region or industry, but that are capable of causing water shortages, serious strains on the electrical grid, and severe damages to lives and livelihoods across the economic and social spectrum. Another highlights the now-omnipresent threat of city-wide "multiple systems failures."
- Did Boehner's face go from orange to red during this exchange?
- Polarization hurts Republican women:
There are more women in political office than ever, but the U.S. is not on the forefront of this change. In 2013, the U.S. Congress was 18% female which, internationally, places us in the middle of the pack.
The Democrats can boast better numbers than the Republicans, but it wasn’t always this way. At the Scholars Strategy Network, sociologist Danielle Thomsen observes that the Democratic party [... has increased female representation much quicker than the Republicans [...] but only since the ’80s or so.
- In report, Nobel scientists urge an end to drug wars:
"The pursuit of a militarized and enforcement-led global ‘war on drugs’ strategy has produced enormous negative outcomes and collateral damage," says the 82-page report. "These include mass incarceration in the US, highly repressive policies in Asia, vast corruption and political destabilization in Afghanistan and West Africa, immense violence in Latin America, an HIV epidemic in Russia, an acute global shortage of pain medication and the propagation of systematic human rights abuses around the world."
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, Greg Dworkin on dismantling anti-ACA talking points. Calculating Medicaid resistance in Benghazi units. Joan McCarter with elections news, Dem response to the Bonkersghazi committee, and the new round of fast food strikes.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
eeff, HoundDog, BeninSC, JeffW, LinSea, wintergreen8694, enhydra lutris, Joe Jackson, DRo, Eric Nelson, This old man, belinda ridgewood
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Renewable energy has been making great strides the past few years, as the supply of photovoltaic solar cells has increased dramatically while the cost of those cells has also dropped considerably.62 comments 26 Recs
- 1. He'd be in the South Bronx, rural West Virginia and South Texas and every place like it. On foot. Every single day. Even in red states. NOT in Berkeley or Santa Fe or the Upper West Side. Or any ...109 comments 31 Recs
- Well, I thought that NPR might be the only media outlet to dare to do a fair job of reporting on Bernie Sanders and his candidacy. However, just this past Friday, I was driving and listening to 3 ...23 comments 19 Recs
- Afghan government and Taliban officials have been talking in Qatar. Neither side now denies that this talking is going on. Afghan government officials and Taliban militants began two days of ...9 comments 9 Recs
- Headlines like this really say it all: Republicans push Barack Obama to rally Democrats for TPP vote Yes, the same Party whose economic philosophy led to the meltdown of the economy in 2007-2008 ...63 comments 110 Recs
- A special election on May 19 will determine whether Susan Bonilla or Steve Glazer gets to be a California Senator representing the 7th Senate district. Susan came 2nd in the March 17th primary.6 comments 18 Recs
- Much of the focus on the Sunday Train is on electrification of transport, ranging from 2,000 mile hauls of electrified freight through to hopping on an e-bike to pick up some groceries. And spending ...10 comments 15 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12310)
- Afghanistan (11497)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (24703)
- Community (90348)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2376)
- Economy (55835)
- eKos (12437)
- Environment (45668)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1195)
- International (14710)
- Jobs (12413)
- Labor (28270)
- Libya (4265)