Here's what I hate about this, even more than the senseless deaths in Isla Vista. As a society, we've accepted the following as fact -- fact, not opinion, not "liberal bullshit," fact:
- It's worth the cost in human lives and trauma to have nearly-unlimited access to all kinds of guns and weaponry.
- Corporate profits and edicts overrule democracy.
- The police are not bound by the law, and can harass us, imprison, beat us and kill us at will.
- Angry whites and angry males can and do impose their will on women and minorities, to the point where men rape and kill women with near-impunity, and whites can kill innocent black children and walk away while a black woman is sentenced to decades in prison for firing a warning shot over the head of her male abuser.
- Corporate interests are free, on an ongoing basis, to perform catastrophic damage on the environment, to the point where the very existence of ours and other species not named "cockroach" is in serious question, and nothing of any real import is done or even considered (in any real sense) to curb it.
- Two of our most sacred documents that should stand for secular, egalitarian law and moral, ethical righteousness -- the Constitution and the Bible -- are being misused as clubs to beat us down and oppress us. In a very real sense, they are being "unmade."
- Bigotry trumps tolerance, and fear trumps freedom.
So here's my question(s):
When are we going to do something about it? What are we going to do about it?
And if you say "Vote!" as your only suggested recourse, consider yourself stooge-slapped. We don't transform a rigged game by making the next predictable move in that game.
I originally posted this on my Facebook wall after reading Michael Moore's status update. Here's his post, if you didn't see it already.