Click here to add your name:New Mexico is like no place else in the United States. We’re proud of our unique cultural heritage -- including more than twenty Native American tribes that call our state home.
As a member of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs, I recognize the complicated relationship between our nation’s government and the sovereignty that Native American communities deserve.
But that does not absolve us of the responsibility we have to protect and defend their rights -- especially when it comes to making sure that Native children aren’t left behind.
Right now, there’s a bipartisan effort moving through Congress to examine and address the many challenges Native children face, including poverty, educational shortfalls, and access to health care.
Sign our petition to support Native children, not just in New Mexico, but in Alaska, in Hawaii, and all across the United States.
New Mexico has higher population of Native Americans than most states, and according to a 2012 study, nearly 40% of those Native children live in poverty. Additionally, these children are more likely to be victims of abuse. They have lower graduation rates, and suicide rates that are 2.5 times higher than the national average.
Every child deserves an opportunity to succeed, but too many Native children simply don’t have the chance.
This bipartisan legislation is our chance to help make it right. Join me and my colleagues and urge Congress to do more to protect our Native children.
Received this e-mail today from Senator Tom Udall (D. NM):
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- Earlier today, May 28th, the NC house cleared a gay marriage objections bill that allows court officials to opt out of same-sex marriage duties based on religious Objections “sincerely held”.7 comments 13 Recs
- He's already won. Believe it or not (I didn't at first), Hillary's primary poll ...673 comments 135 Recs
- More popular than the jokers in the GOP side. Here is the ...357 comments 140 Recs
- The media are more interested in ...300 comments 313 Recs
- Stand up and say you're mad as hell and you won't take it anymore! Elizabeth Warren was a guest speaker this week at The Code Conference —"where top industry influencers in ...45 comments 93 Recs
- Want the scoop on hot races around the country? Get the digest emailed to you each weekday morning. Sign up here .175 comments 2 Recs
- Republican Sen. Pat Toomey (left) faces a ...40 comments 18 Recs
- While the political press corps moans about how ...445 comments 127 Recs
- I wrote a diary last week about how Scott in ...22 comments 15 Recs
- No current results.