- Today's comic by Mark Fiore is Cartoon: Create-Your-Own Caliphate:
- No mission creep in Iraq on Obama's watch. He knows a war in Iraq is a 'dumb war,' by Ian Reifowitz
- Stop calling the Iraq war a mistake. It lets the liars who initiated that war off the hook, by Meteor Blades
- The Daily Kos Elections gubernatorial power rankings: June edition, by Steve Singiser
- Murdoch's minions: Jason and Naomi Schaefer-Riley, by Denise Oliver Velez
- GOP Sen. Ron Johnson: It costs too much to fund the VA, by Mark E Andersen
- We have a crappy healthcare system, by Joan McCarter
- New Daily Kos Elections interactive legislative maps for Illinois and Oklahoma, by Stephen Wolf
- Peak wingnut is a myth, by Dante Atkins
- Chris Matthews necessarily schooled by Elizabeth Warren on politics and the Democratic message, by Egberto Willies
- Malia and Sasha's parents want them to taste minimum-wage work:
President Barack Obama and wife Michelle both worked minimum-wage jobs before they got law degrees: a character-building experience they said they also want their teenage daughters to share.
The president scooped ice cream at Baskin-Robbins, waited tables at an assisted-living facility for seniors and also worked as a painter. The first lady worked at a book binding shop.
"I think every kid needs to get a taste of what it's like to do that real hard work," Michelle Obama said in an interview with Parade magazine, slated to run on Sunday.
- Brian Schweitzer apologizes for 'stupid and insensitive remarks'. And it wasn't a nopology, but the real thing, without qualifiers:
Former Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer on Thursday apologized for comments he made during an interview with National Journal, presumably ones about House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) and Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA).
"I recently made a number of stupid and insensitive remarks to a reporter from the National Journal. I am deeply sorry and sincerely apologize for my carelessness and disregard," Schweitzer wrote in a Facebook post.
- Joe Walsh kicked off his own radio show for racist slurs:
Walsh, who has hosted "The Joe Walsh Show" on a conservative Chicago radio station since early 2013, took to Twitter to complain about being cut off by the station's management. Walsh, by his own account, used several epithets during a discussion on the Redskins' controversial name, including the n-word. [...]
The ex-congressman also has a history of racially-charged remarks. In 2012, he claimed that Democrats want Hispanic Americans to "be dependent on government, just like they got African Americans dependent on government." Earlier that same year, he claimed President Barack Obama was only elected because of his race.
- Before there was fictional Pvt. Ryan, there was real-life Pvt. Wilfred Smith. Five of the young British soldier's brothers were killed in World War I before Queen Mary intervened and got him sent home to northern England.
- Five wrongly convicted men in Central Park jogger case settle for $40 million. That works out to about $1 million for each year the five African American and Hispanic men spent in prison after they were found guilty of gang-raping and a jogger in 1989. One served 13 years, the four others seven years apiece. The five exonerated men were 14 to 16 at the time of the crime.
The media sensationalized the crime, committed it was said as part of alleged "wolf pack" and "wilding" behavior. It later transpired that the actual rapist was someone else, a man convicted of rape and murder who acted alone in the attack on the 28-year-old jogger. The settlement must still be approved by the city comptroller and a federal judge. The Bloomberg administration had fought any settlement on the grounds that the city had acted in good faith in the case. Mayor Bill de Blasio had said in his campaign the city had a “moral obligation to right this injustice.”
- The four most important races for whip in congressional history. In order of importance: Nancy Pelosi vs. Steny Hoyer for House Democratic whip (2001); Trent Lott vs. Alan Simpson for Senate GOP whip (1994); Ted Kennedy vs. Robert Byrd for Senate Democratic whip (1971); Newt Gingrich vs. Ed Madigan for House GOP whip (1989)
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, it's a Friday grab-bag. Hot mug shots. Hannity re-berates Muslim student. A collection of Iraq wrongness. "Reining in" the NSA. Closing in on Christie & Walker. R*dsk*ns vs. Freedom! SW VA hates Obamacare because "death panels."
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Angie in WA State, navajo, Diana in NoVa, YucatanMan, Ekaterin, Mother Mags, gpoutney, JVolvo, Mary Mike, Words In Action, renzo capetti, ericlewis0, Oh Mary Oh, annieli, Eric Nelson, belinda ridgewood, Aunt Pat, LtPowers
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Meteor Blades
- Welcome! " The Evening Blues" is a casual community diary (published Monday - Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern) where we hang out, share and talk about news, music, photography and other things of ...39 comments 24 Recs
- As the Bonn Climate Talks launched today, France's foreign minister Laurent Fabius urged that any climate agreement agreed to in Paris this December must be worded in a manner which does not ...10 comments 22 Recs
- Among other threats to his ex-wife, Anthony Douglas Elonis posted this on his Facebook wall: If I only knew then what I know now, I would have smothered your ass with a pillow, dumped your body ...201 comments 100 Recs
- Samantha Elauf, denied a sales job at an ...150 comments 65 Recs
- The hero of Fox News speaks ...84 comments 81 Recs
- Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet got some ...14 comments 6 Recs
- Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) Last fall, as he campaigned for re-election as governor of ...48 comments 48 Recs
- This last Saturday, May 30th a special group of people got together once again to eat, drink and share. As usual it was relaxing, fun and informative. Here are a couple of pictures of one end of ...19 comments 25 Recs
- ALL HANDS ON DECK. This is not a drill. The vote in the House of Representatives on fast track trade authority, preapproving the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) before the public finds out what is ...4 comments 15 Recs
Meteor Blades's Tags
- Abortion (12450)
- Afghanistan (11513)
- Anti-War (1998)
- Antiwar (383)
- Bill Moyer (12)
- Climate Change (25223)
- Community (91598)
- Cranky Users (302)
- Daily Kos Photo Cooperative (16)
- DK4 (1686)
- Ecology (2400)
- Economy (56334)
- eKos (12471)
- Environment (46424)
- FNN&V (20)
- Gulf Watchers (1196)
- International (15210)
- Jobs (12499)
- Labor (28781)
- Libya (4270)