|• Portion of people living in Illinois who say they would move elsewhere if they could: 1/2
• Estimated number of U.S. children aged two or three being prescribed ADHD medication: 14,000
• Estimated portion of sex crimes in U.S. jails and prisons that are committed by correctional officers: 1/2
• Rank of homicide among causes of on-the-job death for American women: 1
• Chances that the word “pushy,” when used in U.S. media, is used to describe a woman: 2 in 3
• Portion of college freshmen from low-income backgrounds who will receive a college degree by the age of 27: 1/4
• Of freshmen from high-income backgrounds who will: 9/10
• Estimated number of people held in forced labor worldwide: 21,000,000
• Portion who are 18 or younger: 1/4
Blast from the Past. At Daily Kos on this date in 2008—Rove defies second Congressional subpoena.:
|FISA's over. Now back to our regularly scheduled defiance of the law and lack of punishment:
Anyway, what happened was that Rove's lawyer wrote to the committee the other day to say he wasn't gonna show, and decline to appear "on the grounds that Executive Privilege confers upon him immunity from process to respond to a subpoena directed to this subject." That's a new one on me. Executive privilege not with respect to declining to answer specific questions or produce specific documents, but a new breed of executive privilege that manifests itself as an absolute immunity from Congressional subpoenas.
On today's encore Kagro in the Morning show, it's the 7/12/13 podcast: yeah, we talked about Sharknado. But also, Monte Frank of Team 26 joined us this morning to update us on their latest activities and plans. We also read where4art's e-mail on Eliot Spitzer's Comptroller bid. And finally, the moment we've all been waiting for: the big, final installment on the exposition on the nuclear option. All the parliamentary maneuvering that went into perfecting the procedure. How it got derailed over and over before striking paydirt in 1975. What does it all mean for this time around? This is the stuff you simply cannot get anywhere else.