The North Head Lighthouse, located in the Cape Disappointment State Park in Washington, was maintained by lighthouse keepers from 1898 until 1961 when the facility was automated. The original lamp in the lighthouse was an oil lamp with five wicks. This meant that the lighthouse keepers had to carry gallons of oil up the narrow, winding staircase every day to keep the light burning. They also had to trim the wicks and adjust the flame height and ventilation. The lens also required daily polishing and every two months the lens had to be polished with wine to ensure a brightly shining light. Shown below are some photographs of the lighthouse, the trail to the lighthouse, and the area around it.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
blueyedace2, coolbreeze, Delta Overdue, slksfca, Youffraita, mayim, nchristine, LinSea, jakedog42, implicate order, enhydra lutris, foresterbob, rschndr, Rashaverak, state of confusion, FloridaSNMOM, CA ridebalanced, belinda ridgewood, RonK, RiveroftheWest, OceanDiver
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by Ojibwa
- Welcome to the Overnight News Digest with a crew consisting of founder Magnifico, current leader Neon Vincent, regular editors side pocket, maggiejean, wader, Doctor RJ, rfall, JML9999 and Man Oh ...34 comments 32 Recs
- This diary will be the first diary published in the new Group Antiquities Act Defenders and Supporters. The Goal of the group is to debate the Act, its importance to the country and conservation, ...22 comments 12 Recs
- While out driving, earlier, I saw a young woman running along the road, on the sidewalk. A little further along, it was an elderly gentleman, also running. From their ‘gear,’ it was clear that ...60 comments 46 Recs
- It is only human for us to think we will find happiness someplace “out there.” We think, “If I could just get the right job, then I could be happy,” or “If I just had someone to love me, ...42 comments 42 Recs
- On Wednesday, my wife and I will pile into our little Smart car and head north up the Deadwood Trail from our little house on the prairie for the airport in Regina, Saskatchewan. We'll be gone for a ...27 comments 23 Recs
- Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May. Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in the military service. - ...5 comments 7 Recs
- Quite a nice lady, in fact. Fareed Zakaria, who shouldn't be published anywhere considering ...63 comments 69 Recs
- 4 comments 16 Recs
- United States Army Private First Class William K. Nakamura, U.S. Medal of Honor recipient, awarded posthumously. In "114 comments 92 Recs
- A daily series, Connect! Unite! Act! seeks to create face-to-face networks in each congressional district. Groups ...97 comments 47 Recs