Click here to add your name:Tomorrow will mark an incredibly important birthday: the 79th year since Social Security was created.
I have consistently and repeatedly voted to protect Social Security from those who seek to weaken or destroy it, but today, this vital program is facing renewed threats -- including threats from people running against us in this very race.
Congressman Bill Cassidy -- one of my opponents in this race -- has repeatedly voted to raise the retirement age to 70. That might make sense to a congressman who works at a desk, but blue-collar folks who work hard jobs, like the Louisiana electrician I met recently, can't afford to wait that long.
I want to strengthen Social Security for the next 79 years, and I want to be able to show the voters of Louisiana that I have you standing with me.
Sign my petition today. For the 79th anniversary of Social Security, show your support for strengthening this vital program over the next 79 years.
In 2005, I strongly opposed President Bush's attempt to let investors gamble with people's Social Security retirement funds on Wall Street. Privatizing Social Security would have proved devastating during the 2008 financial crisis, but together we stopped that plan.
I am proud to say that I'm part of the reason Social Security is here today.
I have also opposed changing Social Security's cost of living adjustment formula and reducing benefits by tens of thousands of dollars over the life of a beneficiary.
I even led a Senate filibuster against tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans when we could have used that money to increase benefits.
Social Security is something that people in Louisiana really depend on, and I believe no retiree should have to suffer to pay for a millionaire's tax cut. If you believe that too, stand with me today.
Stand with me and show your support for strengthening Social Security benefits, not cutting taxes for millionaires. Sign my petition today.
Thank you for showing your support today,
Rep. Bill Cassidy (R. LA) supports raising the retirement age to 70.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
oceanview, Bush Bites, bear83, JDWolverton, 6412093, just like that, The grouch, librarisingnsf, brightlite
Diary Recommended By
Recommended by poopdogcomedy
- I meant to write this up a couple of weeks ago when Elizabeth Warren released a report called, "Broken Promises: Decades of Failure to Enforce Labor Standards in Free Trade Agreements" but, well, ...26 comments 26 Recs
- Rep. Matt Salmon is considering a primary campaign against John McCain On Tuesday, Democratic Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick announced that she would challenge Republican Sen. John McCain, but the senator ...6 comments 11 Recs
- Maryland Democrat John Delaney took to the Washington Post yesterday to make the argument that Democrats who are providing a "loud voice" on issues ...9 comments 15 Recs
- Earlier today, May 28th, the NC house cleared a gay marriage objections bill that allows court officials to opt out of same-sex marriage duties based on religious Objections “sincerely held”.7 comments 14 Recs
- The Justice Department has indicted former House Speaker Dennis Hastert on reporting evasion charges and lying to the FBI as part of an effort to pay off victims of “prior bad acts.” In an ...86 comments 110 Recs
- He's already won. Believe it or not (I didn't at first), Hillary's primary poll ...781 comments 152 Recs
- More popular than the jokers in the GOP side. Here is the ...372 comments 145 Recs
- The media are more interested in ...309 comments 321 Recs
- Stand up and say you're mad as hell and you won't take it anymore! Elizabeth Warren was a guest speaker this week at The Code Conference —"where top industry influencers in ...46 comments 93 Recs
- No current results.