One of the main causes of the Soviets being defeated in Afghanistan by the Mugaheddin (then "our guys")was the devastating succuess of the sholder fired Stingers against the Soviet Helicopter Gunships and Transporters.
U.S. forces have lost several helicopters and other aircraft in crashes in Afghanistan.http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&e=4&u=/nm/20050406/ts_nm/crash_afgha
In an analysis from STARS ANS STRIPES of 9/27/2001, the following...
) the Mujahideen's tactics were based on the following combat principles:
* Avoid direct contact with the superior might of regular forces when your own forces are smaller.
* Avoid positional warfare -- stay mobile.
* When threatened with encirclement, do not fight -- abandon the position.
* In all forms of combat, strive to achieve surprise.
* Use terror and ideological conditioning on the populace, as well as on local government, to maintain control.
Are things getting worse in Afghanistan as well?