Conservatives were outraged at our January poll suggesting that Republicans were batshit insane. But it wasn't so much the results which they challenged, but the veracity of the pollster and of us. Rather than argue that Republicans weren't birthers (they are), they tried to discredit the organization commissioning the poll (us).
Well, another non-partisan pollster, Harris, has reported similar results:
* 67 percent of Republicans (and 40 percent of Americans overall) believe that Obama is a socialist.
* 57 percent of Republicans (32 percent overall) believe that Obama is a Muslim
* 45 percent of Republicans (25 percent overall) agree with the Birthers in their belief that Obama was "not born in the United States and so is not eligible to be president"
* 38 percent of Republicans (20 percent overall) say that Obama is "doing many of the things that Hitler did"
* Scariest of all, 24 percent of Republicans (14 percent overall) say that Obama "may be the Antichrist."
The GOP base is full of all-out lunatics, motivated and fueled by Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and the rest of the neo-Birchers of the conservative movement. As long as they hold sway with the Republican Party, compromise will be impossible. They won't allow it.
Comments are closed on this story.