Oh, for crying out loud:
House Republican leader John Boehner could hardly get through his remarks in front of a pro-life group Wednesday night, choking up while talking about the late Rep. Henry Hyde and growing up in a family with 12 children.
"Henry Hyde was one of my heroes," he said, stopping to dry his eyes with a handkerchief.
Pro-life group Americans United for Life honored Boehner with the 2010 Henry J. Hyde Defender of Life Award before a crowd sipping cocktails on a downtown Washington rooftop. The group said they were recognizing him for his "extraordinary leadership in the fight to prevent taxpayer-funded abortion and for his work to protect women’s health in his own state of Ohio."
Yeah, Henry Hyde was a real peach. He was the author of the Hyde Amendment, which
denied continues to deny government funding of abortion, making it all but impossible for low-income women to obtain a legal medical procedure.
What a hero!
"One of the reasons we wanted to give the award to leader Boehner is because he’s been an unheralded stalwart on this issue and as you could see last night, it’s not just something where he happens to be pro-life," said AUL spokesman Matthew Faraci. "The pro-life issue is of great significance and importance to him."
Yeah, he's a real stalwart on the issue of life. That's why he always votes for more death penalty and against health care for children.
- Voted YES on more prosecution and sentencing for juvenile crime. (Jun 1999)
- Voted NO on maintaining right of habeas corpus in Death Penalty Appeals. (Mar 1996)
- Voted YES on making federal death penalty appeals harder. (Feb 1995)
- Voted NO on replacing death penalty with life imprisonment. (Apr 1994)
- Voted NO on four weeks of paid parental leave for federal employees. (Jun 2009)
- Voted NO on expanding the Children's Health Insurance Program. (Jan 2009)
- Voted NO on Veto override: Extend SCHIP to cover 6M more kids. (Jan 2008)
- Voted NO on adding 2 to 4 million children to SCHIP eligibility. (Oct 2007)
Yeah, what a stalwart for life.