By now, I'm sure we've all seen Rick Perry's anti-gay "Strong" campaign ad pandering to white fundamentalist Christians who think they're being victimized. If you've been living in a cave for the past few days and haven't had the displeasure of having this ad shoved in your face all day, every day, here it is. Have a wastebasket nearby.
Two good things came out of this ad. One, as of this posting, about a half a million people have "disliked" the ad on YouTube. Seriously, that has to be some kind of record. That's a hint even my borderline-illiterate twit of a governor can't ignore. Two, spoofs. Not just spoofs, but some really, really good spoofs. This morning, I was perusing all the spoof videos, and I was just about peeing myself. And I thought it couldn't get any worse for Perry after the "oops" incident.
I thought I'd post a compilation of the top ten "Strong" spoofs. But first, the obligatory word from our sponsor:
Here at Top Comments, we round up some of the site's best, funniest, most mojo'd, and most informative commentary. We depend on your help with talent spotting. If you see a comment by another Kossack that deserves wider recognition, please send it to topcomments at gmail dot com by 9:30 PM EST. Or you can send it to the Top Comments group via Kosmail. Please include a few words about why you sent it in, as well as your user name (even if you think we know it already), so we can credit you with the find!
Without further ado, the ten best "Strong" spoofs.
Note: The below ordering is based on how many times each video made me either snort or spit my hot chocolate across the room.
10. Mike Macrae.
9. Rabbi Jason Miller.
8. James Kotecki.
7. Andy Cobb.
6. Rick Perry's Brokeback Jacket.
5. Rick Perry is an Ass.
4. Rick Perry is an Ass (No, Really)
3. Rick Perry and Gay Santa's Sack of Dildos.
2. Rick Perry, Gay-Dubbed.
...and...drum roll, please...
1. Jesus Responds to Rick Perry. (and calls him a cock-eyed cowgirl)
There. Now, surely Rick Perry can't embarrass himself or his state any more. Right?
Now, On To The Top Comments!
A special thanks to this week's Top Comments contributors!
Dot Owen submitted this comment from yesterday by Helpcomputer in dfletcher's diary Today I discovered that I am a hardcore socialist.
In Meteor Blades's Open Thread for Night Owls: Want your unemployment check? Pee into this cup, Jeff Y starts a thread abour Gov. Rick Scott's failed drug testing program, JeffW asks the relevant question, and greenbird serves up the punchline.
wide eyed lib provides more conservation tips as does gmoke with the DIY simple solar tips in the excellent post that is full of ideas for conserving energy for da' po' folk (and everyone else) in Greening on the Cheap by Noddy.
And sweet mollyd gives us Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows:
Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
Everybody knows that it's now or never... in the gobsmacking post A $200K Mortgage for $2 a Month by the insightful and wonderful Alan Grayson.
Finally, Some Top Mojo!
(excluding tip jars)
Top Mojo is brought to you by mik's magic!
1) Shucks by Scott Wooledge — 192
2) Clark by campionrules — 140
3) I was so hoping the story would turn out that way by lgmcp — 89
4) Pure politics, pure cowardice on this issue. by slinkerwink — 84
5) Good Luck by FTL BILLY — 84
6) Great news about Clarknt67. by TomP — 82
7) Clark Kent Explains by JekyllnHyde — 82
8) I don't think it's the gun per se by CatM — 82
9) Not limited to Christians, but I wholly understand by The Troubadour — 82
10) You've Got to Work at Understanding Daily Kos by JekyllnHyde — 79
11) I was bullied in high school by xxdr zombiexx — 79
12) Cantor just wants to make sure any loopholes by ThatSinger — 79
13) If you cannot, then you misss the entire point. by TomP — 78
14) Messing with recall petitions is an attack on by Fiona West — 74
15) Seriously, I'm misting up here just by Muskegon Critic — 72
16) let us not confuse by wilderness voice — 71
17) Fighting back is necessary. by The Troubadour — 71
18) Thank you for your service by Dallasdoc — 70
19) This is a scourge and it owes its continued by glitterscale — 68
20) I kinda expect this may be a retiring by Scott Wooledge — 66
21) The worse Democrats get, by dkmich — 66
22) I'm sorry, but if he were a real man, by Leo in NJ — 66
23) In your face! nt by brooklynbadboy — 66
24) Oh Noes by campionrules — 62
25) GOP desperately wants to run by jj32 — 62
26) That was the precise reason by ceebee7 — 61
27) Here's one response... by Brainwrap — 61
28) While these other low-minded people ... by Susan Gardner — 60
29) It's the gubmint's fault. by stcroix cheesehead — 59
30) Am I going to have to start calling you Scott now? by fou — 58
31) A Veteran 'Occupies' by jimstaro — 58
32) Home run! by TomP — 58
Thanks For Reading, Y'all!
See you next time!