(Note: the following text was written, mostly, by my friend Sean. I was involved in some of the brainstorming behind this, and I've tweaked the prose a bit to make it more appropriate for Daily Kos, but the idea and most of the work are Sean's. I'm posting it here with his permission.)
On April 29th, 2011, Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels announced that he would sign a bill denying Medicaid funding to any organization that provides abortions -- no matter where the funds for those abortions come from.
By signing this bill, Daniels is not only attempting to curtail a legal medical procedure. He is compromising the ability of poor people in Indiana to access health care, including STI screenings, birth control, breast exams and many other vital services.
What can you do about this? You can donate to Planned Parenthood of Indiana in honor of our dear governor!
Here's what to do:
1) Go to Planned Parenthood Indiana's website and fill out the donation form with whatever you can spare. Click the button after "I would like notification sent."
2) Answer "This gift is in honor of:" with "Mitch Daniels."
3) Answer "Please send acknowledgment of my gift to:" with "Governor Mitch Daniels, 200 W. Washington St., Rm. 206, Indianapolis, IN 46204."
4) Finish filling out the form so your donation is recorded.
5) Go to the Facebook page for this initiative, and click "Like." Then tell your friends!
You may also reach Mr. Daniels at 317-232-4567 or via the email form here.
Make your voice heard! Tell the Republican culture warriors not to politicize women's health care.