Earlier today, a single shooter entered Sandy Hook Elementary School, in Newtown, Connecticut, opening fire on the staff and children. According to the latest information from the state police, at least 20 children have been killed, 6 adults, and the shooter himself. The latest information:
- According to the AP, the shooter has been identified as Adam Lanza, age 20. (Previous reports had identified him as brother Ryan.) Among those killed were the gunman's mother, a kindergarten teacher at the school. He then apparently targeted the children of his mother's kindergarten class. He died at the scene; police are not specifying details.
- CNN has reported that one of the shooter's brothers was also found dead in a Newtown home.
- The shooter was armed with at least two and possibly four guns, including a .223 rifle.
- AP reports a brother of the shooter is being held by police. He is not currently believed to be a suspect.
- Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy was on the scene earlier, speaking to the families.
- President Obama gave an emotional statement on the tragedy earlier today; you can view it here. A transcript of his remarks can be found here.