Getting rid of everything else that was cluttering the top because this last comment made from the creator of the #LiberalTips2PreventRape Hashtag speaks for itself:
Apparently it was seeing this little girl, and her powerful message that made him blow his top:
At his core, nothing more or less than a misogynist, acting like a cornered rat because a woman and a survivor, and a little girl with a sign saying "Teach your boys how to not rape" dared to confront him.
He will get not one second more of my time.
So, this came across my Facebook Stream yesterday:
The reason behind it-Apparently, while I wasn't paying attention, Michelle Malkin managed to turn a discussion on gun control in Colorado into a "rape prevention" debate, which then downward spiraled into an avalanche of rape jokes on Twitter that shows no sign of stopping.The hashtag #LiberalTips2AvoidRape
somehow started trending, with predictably classy results
All of this, apparently, was the result of a very stupid comment a democratic State legislator in Colorado (who later apologized), which Malkin then falsely tied to a list of college campus rape prevention tips from 7 years ago on her blog. This is especially ironic, since Michelle Malkin has, in the past, called the very existence of campus rape a "myth" on her blog.
Seriously, you cannot make this shit up.
The fact that the gun lobby has been targeting the women's market by tapping into their greatest fears is nothing new. What is new- the right's attempt to use that marketing to masquerade as anti-rape crusaders.
Michelle and her gang of newly baptized champions of women are taking their fight to the internets and airwaves of America, castigating liberals for "wanting to disarm defenseless American women" stating breathlessly:
If radical gun-grabbers have their way, your daughters, mothers, and grandmothers will have nothing but whistles, pens, and bodily fluids with which to defend themselves against violent attackers and sexual predators.
Yes, this is now a thing.
Seriously, the party of "legitimate rape" is actually trying to pretend they are feminists now. Or at least, not misogynists. Because, guns.
It's almost funny, except it's not. Because as Leslie Marshall wrote in US News, guns don't really protect women against rape:
As a woman, and a woman who has been in a rape situation, on more than one occasion, it is offensive to try to tie guns with rape for the sake of attempting to win a political argument. It's not just pathetic; it's undignified. And it's a slap in the face to the thousands of women who have been victims. It even sickens me more when it's women attempting to make this argument.
I think it's asinine to try to use any of the tactics reported in the past to ward off a rapist, it's just as asinine to think that if you can conceal and carry a weapon, a woman is protected from any potential rapist. In other words, a gun can provide security, but not in all situations.
As a woman who has been "in a rape situation" on more than one occasion myself, including
when I owned a gun for self defense (which is pretty useless if the rapist is your live-in boyfriend) I could not agree more. Yes, women have a right to defend themselves. What Salazar said was stupid and condescending. This is above and beyond that. This is turning rape survivors into a punchline, and doing so in a way that frames the problem of rape as, once again, something that women (and victims in general) are responsible for both provoking and preventing.
The "tip sheet" has been removed from the UCCS website, but here is a screenshot (h/t to Global Grind):
And you know what? It DOES deserve mocking, but as the kids say guys, you're doing it wrong. And you're doing it wrong, because you are completely out of your element. Because TRULY confronting the absurdity of the #UCCS tips, and all of the other "Rape Prevention" tips routinely given to women, means addressing the underlying problem of rape culture itself-something you are clearly not willing to do because it would require looking in the mirror, and actually admitting that rape culture exists in the first place.
So please proceed conservatives, in making your "pull my finger" jokes about rape victims while pretending you actually give a shit about rape victims (by the way GOP, have you managed to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act yet?) In the meantime, below the fold I would like to offer my own #LiberalTips2AvoidRape (inspired by this bit of brilliance)
How To Not Rape
1. Be realistic about your ability to not rape people. If you are prone to uncontrollable urges to rape, seek help, and avoid situations where you might have an opportunity to rape someone.
2. If your instinct is to rape, start to scream-"I AM ABOUT TO RAPE THIS PERSON, SOMEONE STOP ME!!!!!!!!" Keep screaming until someone intervenes, or at least your potential victim has a chance to get away from you.
3. Keep your shoes on at all times
This should do the trick!
: Athletic trainers work best. If you feel like you are about to rape, they will enable you to run away as quickly as possible.
4. Don't take time to look back, just get away. Keep running until you find a safe place where there are no people that you can rape, and call a mental health professional.
5. If you are putting someones life in danger, stop fucking doing that
Run! Run! Run like the wind!
6. Assume that the person you want to rape has a disease or is menstruating. Better yet, assume that they have the worst flesh eating bacteria in the world inside of them. Assume they are filled with radioactive, toxic bio-hazardous materials. Convince yourself of this, and act accordingly.
7. If your date is defecating, urinating, or vomiting, this is a pretty good indication that they are not enjoying themselves.
Would you really stick your penis in this?
Stop raping them.
8. If your date is yelling, hitting or biting you*, this is a also a good indication that they are not enjoying themselves. Stop raping them
Note-This still applies if your date can do none of the above because you have immobilized her, bound her, if you have your hand clamped over her mouth or have taped it shut. Assume that if she could, she would be doing all of these things
This woman isn't "playing hard to get", she seriously does not want to have sex with you.
9. Understand that some actions on your part, such as rape, may lead to more harm than not raping.
10. Remember, every emergency situation is different, but none of them require you to rape anyone.
Some more advice...
11. If your date is not responding to you in any way whatsoever, not only are they not enjoying themselves, this is a good sign they are heavily intoxicated or unconscious. Stop raping them, and call 911. They probably have alcohol poisoning.
12. Don’t put drugs in drinks that do not belong to you. Whether or not you bought them is irrelevant.
No, this person cannot consent to sex
13. When you see a woman walking alone at night, cross over to the other side of the street and leave them alone.
Is that your cosmopolitan dude? Hm, didn't think so.
14. If you pull over to help someone with car problems, please remember not to rape them!
Don't even think about it.
16.If you are in an elevator and someone else gets in, do not rape them.
You are not allowed to rape this person.
17. Remember, people go to the laundromat to do their laundry.
Nope, not her either.
Do not attempt to rape someone who is alone in a laundry room.
18. Remember that a marriage license is not the same thing as a property deed.
No, not even her. So sorry :*(
You do not own your spouses body, and they are not required to have sex with you.
19. Treat your lady like you would treat your car-
Look closely, there is no fine print on here that says "it is OK for the undersigned parties to rape each other".
and don't rape her.
20. Remember, having a sexual partner is not like owning a pair of jeans
-Once you have had "worn" them, that doesn't mean you get to put them on again, any time you feel like it.
15. NEVER come in through an unlocked door or window uninvited.
Not the same thing.
Ring the doorbell, push the buzzer, call the phone, throw rocks at the window, serenade. No one likes to be "surprised" in such a manner.
This is not the proper way to greet your date.
21. Use the buddy system!
If you are not able to stop yourself from assaulting people, ask a friend or two to stay with you while you are in public, and keep an eye on you.
Need a buddy? These guys
would be more than happy to help you.
22.Don't be a tease!
Don’t pretend to be a caring friend in order to gain the trust of someone just to take advantage of them. Consider telling them you are only interested in sex, and plan to rape them. If you don’t communicate your intentions, the other person may take that it as a sign that you do not plan to rape them.
23. Consider the message your clothing is sending
Honesty is the best policy.
If you are dressed to appear as a nice normal person, you can't blame people for assuming you are one. Consider purchasing a shirt that says "I am a rapist", or getting it tattooed across your forehead.
24. Don’t forget: you can’t have sex with someone unless they are awake!
Lisbeth would be more than happy to provide you with a tattoo
25. Carry a whistle!
Once again-this person cannot consent to sex.
If you are worried you might rape the person you are hanging out with, keep a whistle hanging around your neck, so they can blow it if you do.
26. Carry Pepper Spray!
See? It even comes in "man colors"!
Keep it in an easy to access place, like your front pocket. If you start to pull down your pants to rape someone, reach into your pocket first and grab the pepper spray, then spray yourself in the face until you can't see or breathe, let alone rape. (Note-Hornet spray, taser guns and, in extreme scenarios, firearms will also do the trick if used in a similar fashion)
27. Avoid situations that leave you vulnerable
- Know what your triggers are. If you want to rape children, avoid playgrounds, coaching, teaching, and raising children. If you want to rape college girls, avoid university campuses, frat parties, and bars in college towns. If you want to rape the elderly, avoid nursing homes. Be aware of your environment at all times.
28. If you are unsure if your date is old enough to consent to sex, ask to see ID.
Walk away. Just walk away.
Generally NON-acceptable forms of ID include:
• Elementary, Middle, or High School Identification cards
• Child Safety Identification cards
• Learners Permits
• Boys & Girls club membership cards
• Build-a-Bear workshop club membership cards
• The response "what is ID? I am eight years old."
29. If you are unsure if your date is actually consenting to sex, try asking them "is it OK for me to have sex with you?"
Examples of unacceptable forms of ID
If the response is any of the following, stop raping them immediately:
• "I don't know"
• "I'd prefer not to"
• "Get the fuck off of me and stop raping me!"
• "ummmmmm wha?" (or any other form of alcohol slurred muttering)
• "What is sex? I am eight years old."
• Silence-due to your date being unconscious, non-verbal, or not old enough to talk
• Anything other than "YES" or a similar, clearly affirmative answer
Sometimes facial cues and body language can be good indicators.
And finally, the BEST, most fool-proof tip of all......
30. Don't rape.
Even if she said yes before
Even if you really want to
Even if he or she looks
Even if she's wearing a miniskirt
Even if she's acting like a whore
Even if she's drunk
Even if she's alone
Even if she's your wife
Even if she's your girlfriend
Even if she is transgendered
Even if she is a lesbian
EVEN IF SHE IS NOT PACKING A GUN
From the comments:
#31: Despite what Hollywood tells you... (2+ / 0-)
You are not owed sex for anything. Period.
Yeah, you bought him/her dinner. Does he/she owe you anything?
Yes. A "Thank You".
(Please note that Thank you means the WORDS thank you, not a sex act that you call a thank you.)
#32: If you feel the urge to have sex, and cannot find a willing partner, try masturbation. It works, is cheap, and doesn't involve the violation of anyone. (Your fantasies during said act are not my business, and don't hurt anybody.)
I don't blame Christians. I blame Stupid. Which sadly is a much more popular religion these days.
by detroitmechworks on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 09:20:59 AM EST
PLEASE keep them coming, I will update, and if you twitter, tweet them out with the hashtag #How2NotRape
Let's get THAT trending.
May I add (3+ / 0-)
#33. If you have a gun, don't use it to threaten someone in order to rape them. If you have a knife, club, brick, or some other weapon, don't use it to threaten someone in order to rape them.
I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his payroll. - Edna St. Vincent Millay
by Tara the Antisocial Social Worker on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 10:00:08 AM EST
#34. "Yes" does not mean "You now have the irrevocable right to do anything to me you want for as long as you want." She still has the right to say "no" even after she's said "yes!"
We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another. -- Jonathan Swift
by raptavio on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 10:31:55 AM EST
8:42 AM PT: Have to run for a while...Please keep up the momentum and r/t