We all remember when former president Bill Clinton had emergency heart surgery. At the time the prognosis for his recovery was in doubt and Hillary and Chelsea rushed to his side.
A lot has changed and Bill Clinton is doing great with a new trimmed physique and healthy outlook. He shares his newfound health success with us in this conversation with CNN:
It's been several years since Bill began his diet and he is flaunting the results in the latest edition of AARP.
photo credit Ben Baker
Two of Bill Clinton's recipes are below the fold. For the rest of his shared recipes check out the AARP article here.
Gigante Bean Salad
1/2 cup dried gigante beans (or cannellini beans)
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup thinly sliced onion
1/4 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
Black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Place the beans in a bowl and cover with water. Let them stand overnight. Drain.
2. Place the beans in a medium pot and cover with 6 inches of water. Add the bay leaf and bring to a boil, skimming any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat to low and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender. Season with the salt and cook an additional 5 minutes. Drain the beans and discard the bay leaf.
3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the bell peppers, lightly season with salt and black pepper, and stir frequently until the bell pepper mixture is tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and vinegar and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the beans and parsley to the bell pepper mixture. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve chilled.
Shredded Red Beets in Vinaigrette
8 ounces red or yellow beets, shredded
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons minced chives, mint and parsley
Kosher salt, to taste
1. Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler and grate with a mandoline or in a food processor fitted with a shredding blade.
2. Combine the orange juice, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss with the beets and herbs. Season to taste with the salt.
3. Marinate at least 1 hour. Serve chilled.