Obama meets with co-chairs of police reform task force.
As we saw
You can also see the undeniable upward trend in gallup's daily tracking poll here
. Now what, pray tell, has changed in the last month
, when his approvals were 39-57 among registered voters in that ABC/WaPo poll? Well, people better approve of the way he's handling the economy, up to 47-49, from 42-55 a month ago. but that's a net 11-point shift, smaller than the 24-point net improvement in his favorabilities. So what could it be? I have a theory:
* Obama issued executive order shifting immigration enforcement efforts away from deporting the undocumented parents of United States citizen children. Turns out, splitting up families was kinda unpopular.
* Obama has called for free community college tuition. Turns out, making an education more affordable is popular!
* Obama has stood strong against Keystone XL. Turns out, people don't like the despoiling of the environment. And even those who support the pipeline don't really give a shit about it. They just support it because liberals oppose it.
* Obama announced actions to reform police departments nationwide: helping them purchase body cams while overhauling the program that sends surplus military hardware to local departments. Who knew that wouldn't be the death knell of Obama's presidency?
* Obama normalized relations with Cuba, which turns out, delighted more people than the few crusty and cranky old-generation Cuban-Americans left in South Florida.
* Obama announces plan to expand paid sick leave. Turns out, allowing sick people to stay home, rather than 1) working sick, and 2) infecting everyone else around them, is popular.
But hey, for the sake of argument, let's pretend that Obama's massive approval gains are entirely based on economic gains. That still shows that doing popular, liberal things won't kill a Democrat. Republicans have lost their heads over every single one of the bullet items above, and it doesn't matter. Conservatives may have decided Obama is the devil, but they're on the fringy outside.
Head below the fold as we imagine what things might've been like had Obama governed this way from the beginning.
Comments are closed on this story.