HB 1370 Is All About Shame
Last week in Missouri, an anti-abortion bill passed in their State house of representatives. Missouri’s record on women’s repro rights is abysmal to say the least, but the bill passed on March 17 essentially added insult to injury. The bill would require that teens notify both parents in writing before she would be allowed to obtain an abortion. This is appalling on multiple levels, not the least of which is giving someone besides the pregnant teen, rights to HER body. Missouri already requires the consent of one parent however this bill, which will probably pass by GOP overriding Gov Jay Nixon’s veto, requires the teen seeking abortion to notify the parent who did not give consent.
There’s only ONE reason this legislation would be introduced, and that is shaming teens. Since notifying the parent who didn’t give consent has no effect on the outcome, it’s real purpose is barely hidden. Also I find it interesting that the state of Missouri, thinks teen girls who end up with an unwanted pregnancy, aren’t capable of making such a serious decision on their own, yet somehow having a parent FORCE a teen to become a parent is acceptable.
Generally the non consenting parent is the the father, and this can be problematic on multiple levels. Absent fathers, with no way for daughter to get in touch with him, abusive fathers, who were convicted of a crime against children, and a litany of other very specific conditions that require documented proof such as court documents Find the bill in it’s entirety HERE.
Missouri’s Abysmal Repro Rights Record
Below see a list as of Dec 1, 2015 of the anti choice laws now restricting abortion in Missouri from Guttmacher Institute, a research and advocacy group for reproductive rights.
“Restrictions on Abortion
In Missouri, the following restrictions on abortion were in effect as of December 1, 2015:
- A woman must receive state-directed counseling that includes information designed to discourage her from having an abortion and then wait 72 hours before the procedure is provided. Counseling must be provided in person and must take place before the waiting period begins, thereby necessitating two separate trips to the facility.
- Abortion is covered in private insurance policies only in cases of life endangerment, unless an optional rider is purchased at an additional cost.
- Health plans that will be offered in the state’s health exchange under the Affordable Care Act can only cover abortion when the woman’s life is endangered.
- Abortion is covered in insurance policies for public employees only in cases of life endangerment.
- The use of telemedicine for the performance of medication abortion is prohibited.
- The parent of a minor must consent before an abortion is provided.
- Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.”
Republican Men Pontificating On Women’s Repro Rights
In 2015 House Republicans introduced legislation that would require the woman who is seeking an abortion, to get written and notarized permission from the man who impregnated her. See video below State Representative Ron Hicks talking about HB 131 which would require a woman to receive notarized permission from the father to receive an abortion. This conversation about the autonomy of EVERY female living in that state is so cavalier, and very condescending. It seems the only way women were present in THIS discussion, is via the legislators repeating what their wives had thought of the bill, which is quite interesting.
It’s more than apparent, that women’s repro rights are under direct attack, by the GOP. These parental consent laws are preposterous, and simply put desperate teens at needless risk. A teen should not be forced to give up her autonomy the moment she becomes pregnant, BUT the Republicans of Missouri have made sure her rights to it are gone. If she weren’t pregnant, neither parent could force her to even give blood, in fact you can’t take anything from a corpse without express prior consent. In other words the GOP of Missouri have made it to where a CORPSE has more rights than a pregnant teen. If that’s not a war on women, I don’t know what is!