Beginning 12:00 AM PT tomorrow, Daily Kos will launch a sponsored content advertising campaign for a client, one I think y’all will enjoy. Daily Kos has experimented with this in the past.
Sponsored content comes in many forms. With this particular campaign, the client will have a story published on the site that will include an embedded petition, a petition hosted on our advocacy platform, as well as advertising space on the site to promote the story. Those promotions will include the interstitial (the pop up) and other advertising units. All promotions and landing pages will be clearly identified as paid for by the client. Since anyone can publish a diary on our platform, provided they follow the rules of the road, we do not identify the diary as paid for.
This specific campaign will run 3/6 to 3/10 and we expect to run similar campaigns in the future. I’ll be around to answer any questions tonight and tomorrow as we’d love your feedback. And please sure to check out the story once it’s published. It’s on an issue I think you’ll agree is important to promote.
Hey folks! Jumping into the comments now, but I wanted to update this story with a comment that Susan Gardner made.
Let me see if I can clarify:
1. The diary itself by Warren is not paid for. When you think about it, it is impossible given our set-up to CHARGE for a diary, since anyone can sign up and write for free.
2. The “ads” on the rec and recent list are not taking up any spots that were otherwise there for community diaries. They are an addition to the rec list. And the ads are simply links to Warren’s original diary.
3. No diary is promoted to the rec list in this arrangement. If ANY diary makes the rec list, it’s because the community put it there.
4. Subscribers do not see the “ads” that link to Warren’s diary.
5. We will always mark any linking ads (like we did with this ad campaign) as “ads.” Users will never need to wonder if what they are reading is paid for. We will make it clear.