Welcome to what is the 851st original profile here at “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day”, where we’ll be discussing Mark Finchem, who has served as a member of the Arizona House of Representatives from District 11 since first winning office in the 2014 elections. Our dismay that this man serves in government has something to do with the fact that he is simultaneously a member of the anti-government militia group known as the Oath Keepers.
Now, as one might expect, that means that Mark Finchem might be into some far-right conspiracy theories, and you’d be right, as he was convinced that the domestic terrorism carried out in Charlottesville was in fact a “deep state conspiracy” carried out by two separate groups of Democrats as a “PSYOP”. In the same blog post where he claimed that, he went on to claim that the Ku Klux Klan is, to this day, an organization run by Democrats.
Perhaps it should come as little surprise that Mark Finchem spent the Obama administration ranting online about the 44th President becoming a dictator, and during political unrest in Ferguson, Missouri, he lauded members of the Oath Keepers who turned up to point guns at civil protesters as additional “security” in the town.
Looking at Finchem’s voting record, and well… he’s just as awful as a legislator as he is a human being:
- February 18th, 2015: Finchem sponsors and votes for HB 2173, a particularly insane bill to allow gold and silver to be used as legal tender in Arizona.
- March 11th, 2015: Mark Finchem votes for HB 2643, a bill to prohibit the enforcement of the Affordable Care Act. In 2015. Because let’s nullify what was already being implemented and working, right?
- March 28th, 2017: Finchem votes for SB 1122, a bill to allow the sale of firearms without a background check.
- March 29th, 2017: Mark Finchem votes for SB 1367, an insane anti-choice bill that would require doctors performing an abortion to attempt to resuscitate fetuses after performing the procedure (that can’t survive outside the womb, anyway).
- February 25th, 2019: Finchem votes for HCR 2009, to declare pornography a public health crisis.
- April 10th, 2019: Mark Finchem is one of only 5 members of the Arizona House to vote against SB 1346, to include HIV prevention in sex education to public school children.
- February 6th, 2020: Finchem co-sponsors and votes for HB 2804, to allow private citizens to build their own border walls without permits from cities and municipalities.
- March 3rd, 2020: Mark Finchem co-sponsored HB 2706, legislation to ban transgender girls from participating in girls’ sports in public schools.
Mark Finchem will be running for his fourth term in office in 2020. We obvious would prefer to see him lose in November, but realize that he’ll be term-limited in 2022. If this were a sane country these days, he would have never been elected, but hopefully he’ll never sniff any other higher office once his days in the House of Representatives are done.
One Year Ago, April 13th, 2018: Dan Foreman (ID)
Two Years Ago, April 13th, 2018: Brenda Barton (AZ)… 2018 Update
Three Years Ago, April 13th, 2017: Brenda Barton (AZ)… 2017 Update
Four Years Ago. April 13th, 2016: Brenda Barton (AZ)… 2016 Update
Five Years Ago: April 13th, 2015: Brenda Barton (AZ)…Original Profile