In 1904, the City of Spokane, Washington, obtained 95 acres of land which became Manito Park. The name manito is an Algonquian Indian word for spiritual forces. In 1912, a conservatory was built and in 1974 a new all aluminum conservatory and greenhouses were built. In 1988 the central dome was redesigned and enlarged and named for Dr. David Gaiser, a park patron. Shown below are photographs of the east wing.