In 1904, the City of Spokane, Washington, obtained 95 acres of land which became Manito Park. The name manito is an Algonquian Indian word for spiritual forces. In 1912, John Duncan, the park’s second superintendent, designed and build a formal European style garden with bilateral symmetry, a central water feature, and geometrical planting beds. The garden covered three acres. Originally called the Sunken Garden, it was renamed Duncan Garden in 1941. Shown below are some of the flowers in the garden.