That’s our President!
President Joe Biden praised the tentative agreement to end the Writers Guild of America strike, saying that it showed that workers “deserve a fair share of the value their labor helped create.”
In a statement on Monday, Biden said, “I applaud the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers for reaching a tentative agreement that will allow writers to return to the important work of telling the stories of our nation, our world – and of all of us. This agreement, including assurances related to artificial intelligence, did not come easily. But its formation is a testament to the power of collective bargaining. There simply is no substitute for employers and employees coming together to negotiate in good faith toward an agreement that makes a business stronger and secures the pay, benefits, and dignity that workers deserve. I urge all employers to remember that all workers – including writers, actors, and autoworkers – deserve a fair share of the value their labor helped create.”
Biden previously weighed in on the strike at a White House event in May, shortly after the WGA walked out, and called for writers to get “a fair deal they deserve as soon as possible.”
Details on the deal will be presented to the guild members tomorrow to be voted on ramification due to the Yom Kippur holiday. But from what I’ve heard, the writers sound very happy with the deal. Writer, comedian and strike negotiation committee member, Adam Conover (Adam Ruins Everything, The G Word), had this to say:
Writers are rightfully celebrating this as a big win but the strike isn’t over just yet:
Though the mood was celebratory, the writers have not lost sight of SAG-AFTRA members who are still on strike, expressing optimism that they will soon reach a deal too.
“We were carefully negotiating a lot of things that will set a pathway for SAG-AFTRA. …The heavy lifting was done. I don’t anticipate that SAG-AFTRA will be out much longer,” Mark Blutman, who was a showrunner for television shows “Boy Meets World” and “Girl Meets World,” said. “And I don’t think I’m being optimistic. I think I’m being realistic. I‘m hoping it will be two or three weeks, maybe four, they’ll make their deal. But we will be out there with them. From the day we walked out on May 2, there were SAG-AFTRA members with us and we will show that same solidarity with them.”
Dan Ewen, showrunner for television show “Clean Slate,” echoed Blutman’s sentiments. “In one aspect it’s done, but we also have our SAG brothers and sisters out there, and it’s important to get this entire industry up and going again,” he said. “The general idea is that this was a harder nut to crack. I don’t know if that’s true, but it’s what I have heard. I think in a general momentum sense, it’s a giant step. But without them, there’s nothing in front of the camera.”
The plan was for the AMPTP to resolve the WGA strike first so that writers could get back to writing while they resolve the SAG-AFTRA strike. But some shows might be returning some:
As the actors’ strike continues on, most television shows and movies will not be able to resume without them. But late-night and daytime talk shows could return after the resolution of the writers’ strike, potentially bringing relief to one corner of the industry.
There were no immediate announcements of shows returning to air.
But the end of the writers’ strike could relieve pressure on talk show hosts, some of whom were hotly criticized in recent weeks after announcing plans to return before the strikes were resolved.
More to come. In the mean time, please do donate to the Entertainment Community Fund to help those affected by the strike. Click here.
And in the mean time, please do listen to Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon, Stephen Colbert, John Oliver and Seth Meyers Podcast, Strike For Five, so they can continue to raise money for their out of work crew: