You can make a difference to the hurt being caused by climate chaos and the great extinction event in your town or your city! How? Reuse, repurpose, and recycle this information. You can push your local politicians to act. It will make a difference!
This is the letter for week 188 of a weekly climate strike that went on for 4 years in front of San Francisco City Hall, beginning early March 2019. For more context, see this story. For an annotated table of contents of the topics for all the strike letters, see this story. Meanwhile…
STRIKE FOR THE PLANET
An ounce of prevention works even in metric.
That’s why this week’s topic is: Why Prepare?
- San Francisco is not ready to respond (see Strike letter for week 187).
- The Arctic is melting.
- The Antarctic is melting.
- The permafrost is melting.
- The seas are rising.
- The biosphere is dying.
- CO2 levels are jetting up.
- Temperatures are rising.
- Ocean circulation is stalling.
- The polar vortex is failing.
- Storms are increasing in intensity.
- Extreme weather events are increasing in number.
- Habitat destruction is producing new human diseases.
- The human population is unsustainably large.
- The Amazon rainforest is becoming a net carbon emitter.
- Desertification is increasing worldwide.
- Soil erosion and salinification are increasing worldwide.
- Food nutrients are decreasing worldwide.
- Plant and animal extinctions are increasing worldwide.
- The west is in a megadrought.
- We are near or past multiple climate tipping points.
We are past the frog in slowly heating water and are teetering out of balance on the edge of a cliff.
What you’re doing now is neither sustainable nor survivable.
And because you took an oath or protect the people of this city and the city itself. It’s time you actually started doing so.