Between 1 million and 6 million children in the U.S. are being reared by committed lesbian or gay couples, she says. Children being raised by same-sex parents were either born to a heterosexual couple, adopted, or conceived through artificial insemination.
Children growing up in same-sex parental households do not have differences in self-esteem, gender identity, or emotional problems from children growing up in heterosexual parent homes.
It has been my experience as a teacher that same-sex parents offer their children stable, loving and supportive homes. I’ve found that they are involved in their children’s school activities and are the parents I can count on to volunteer. I can count on their children’s homework to be completed and to make consistent gains throughout the school year.
I’ve observed many parenting styles. Typically, parents fall into the following categories; helicopter, drill sergeant, laissez-fairee and consultant parents. The helicopter parent “hovers” and is overly fearful his/her child will experience failure. They are always close at hand and are the ones who will do their child’s homework for them. Studies show that children who grow up with helicopter parents often suffer from low self esteem and have a “I can’t do it myself outlook on life.” The drill sergeant parent barks out orders and threatens consequences but rarely follows through. Their children learn quickly to avoid interactions with authorities and they don’t put very much effort toward chores, homework and don’t take on responsibilities. The laissez-fairee parent has few rules. They are not involved and the child learns they are on their own. The last parenting style is the consultant. This parent is involved but, allows the child to develop his/her own identity. The consultant is there to offer support and exhibits confidence in the child to; with help, make the right decisions. These parents have sensible rules with consequences and make sure their children follow through with their responsibilities.
It has been my experience that same-sex parents fall into the consultant parenting style more often than heterosexual parents.
(Or... what to say when you need an escape hatch)
Who will pay the retired police officers’ salaries? How will the officers be armed? Who will pay for their weapons, who will pay for their ammunition and who will pay for their ongoing training? Are we asking the already financially encumbered public school districts to foot the bill for all of this?
Most police officers are issued a service weapon. For example, the LAPD uses a 22 40 caliber Glock. It varies on the police department. Most use the Glock, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer or possibly the H & K. Approximately 65% of police departments in America issue this grade of pistol. These are handguns not rifles.
The Newtown and Aurora shooters carried the Bushmaster AR-15. The AR-15 is a lightweight, 5.56 mm, magazine-fed, semi-automatic rifle, with a rotating-lock bolt, actuated by direct impingement gas operation or long/short stroke piston operation. The Standard issue magazines are 20 or 30 round staggered-column magazines, traditional box magazines exist in 40 and 45 round capacities, and usable magazines have been constructed from a variety of materials including steel, aluminum, and high-impact plastics. Drum magazines with 90 and 100 round capacities exist, such as Beta C-Mags.
Most police officers carry the G30S pistol. The G30 combines the full capacity .45 Auto round count with a slimmer slide. This pistol offers a lighter, more easily concealable option for Law Enforcement. Being able to conceal a weapon while walking the hallways of a public school has been an important concern for officers who are already in schools.
LaPierre’s call for a “National School Safety Shield” falls under criticism because Columbine High School had two armed guards. Virginia Tech had a whole armed campus police department and Ft. Hood was a heavily armed military facility.
On a personal note; my father was a police officer. He served for close to thirty years. He won many sharp shooter awards and was an impeccable marksman. Dad was also a war veteran. Even with all this experience and expertise Dad and his service pistol would not have stood a chance against a shooter with an assault rifle. The assault rifles have longer range capabilities. They have a faster delivery system and their magazines carry many more bullets.
We need a ban on assault rifles, reduced magazine clips, universal background checks and a better mental health system.
We need gun safety. That is what will make our communities and our schools safer.
Please join us to get this maniac off of our public airwaves:
Join: The Flush Rush Facebook community
Visit: The StopRush sponsor database
Tweet: #stoprush Twitter campaign
Sign: Change.org petition against supporters of Rush Limbaugh
Please take a moment to read it with the children in mind. Thank you.
I taught kindergarten for thirty years. That means when you count the two half day sessions before kindergarten went full day, I’ve taught well over 1500 five and six year old children. I’ve seen their joys when they mastered a new skill. I’ve seen their wonderment when experiencing what the world offers. Their world was filled with home-made play-doh, blocks, letters, numbers, friends and juice and cookies for snack.
The Sandy Hook Elementary massacre on December 14, 2012 renewed my conviction to advocate for young children. Twenty children were murdered in Newtown that day. Twenty children who were practicing holiday songs, looking forward to the Winter Break, time with family and wondering what Santa would bring them for Christmas are now dead.
The families started speaking out this week. They revealed that their children were brutally attacked and suffered multiple gunshot wounds. One devastated mother painfully shared that her young son’s face had been blown off from the point blank shots. She wants us to have that visual image. She wants us to ask, “What if that was our child?”
“Bad taste” and “offensive?” My answer is; “WE WILL NEVER FORGET!” We will never forget those young faces. We will never forget how the NRA and the GOP responded with heartless, offensive support for assault weapons and multiple round clip magazines. We will never forget the party talking points put forth by their hate machine, Rush Limbaugh. Our reaction must be in defense of our children. It’s time to support President Obama’s call for a ban on assault weapons, reduced magazine clips, a universal background check and increased mental health care. It is in “bad taste” and it is “offensive” not to do so.
We should not be surprised by any outrageous, sexist or racist statements Rush Limbaugh makes. Considering his recent denials of any impure, racist thoughts, it is interesting to take a walk down memory lane to see what he actually has said on the subject of Latinos. Railing against NAFTA in 1993, Rush Limbaugh said, "If we are going to start rewarding no skills and stupid people, I’m serious, let the unskilled jobs that take absolutely no knowledge whatsoever to do — let stupid and unskilled Mexicans do that work."
During an appearance on Fox News, Limbaugh insulted Los Angeles’ Hispanic mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. He said the first time he saw Mayor Villaraigosa he thought the Latino was a “Shoe Shine Boy.” He was shocked to learn this Latino held such a high office and was, in fact, the Mayor of Los Angeles.
During one of his radio shows he said to Latinos, “You’re foreigners. You shut your mouth or you get out.” He continued to say, “A Chavez is a Chavez. We’ve Always Had Problems with Them.”
The list of racist remarks Limbaugh has uttered is long. For example he said Spanish was the language of the ghettos.
Who can forget his over exaggerated pronunciation of “La-teeee-na” when referring to United States Supreme Court Justice Sonja Sotomayor?
He just can’t seem to reconcile that he is insulting the largest growing demographic of the United States population.
When it comes to immigration, here’s a list of just a few things Limbaugh is quoted to have said;
• August 15, 2011, “[S]ome people would say we're already under attack by aliens -- not space aliens, but illegal aliens.”
• April 1, 2005, Limbaugh described undocumented immigrants as an "invasive species," saying: LIMBAUGH: So invasive species like mollusks and spermatozoa are not good, and we've got a federal judge say, "You can't bring it in here," but invasive species in the form of illegal immigration is fine and dandy -- bring 'em on, as many as possible, legalize them wherever we can, wherever they go, no matter what they clog up. So we're going to break the bank; we're going to bend over backwards. The federal judiciary is going to do everything it can to stop spermatozoa and mollusks from coming in, but other invasive species? We're supposed to bend over and grab the ankles and say, "Deal with it."
• January 31, 2011, Limbaugh asked: “[H]as the CDC ever published a story about the dangers of catching diseases when you sleep with illegal aliens?”
• March 28, 2006, Limbaugh said of Mexican immigrants: “[L]ook at it from Vicente Fox's point of view. I mean if -- if you had a renegade, potential criminal element that was poor and unwilling to work, and you had a chance to get rid of 500,000 every year, would you do it?”
• April 26, 2010, defending the controversial Arizona immigration law, Limbaugh asked: “Isn't protecting our legal citizens from an invading army of illegal aliens who are using our services and taking our jobs, isn't that a basic notion of fairness? Isn't that in the Constitution? Where is the fairness to American citizens here?”
• November 8, 2012, Limbaugh said, “Cubans aren't "popular in the overall Hispanic group" because they're not "as dark" and are "oriented toward work"
If you agree that the time has come for Limbaugh to make good on his offer to move to Costa Rica (and won’t he be popular down there?) then by all means join the fight.
Please consider joining our communities working to hold Rush Limbaugh accountable for hatred towards women, ethnic minorities, homosexuals, public sector workers, disabled persons and the poor. Just a few minutes a day letting sponsors know that their reputation is being associated with hate speech can make a huge difference.
To Become A Part Of The StopRush Projects,
Join: FlushRush Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/....
Visit: StopRush.Net: http://tinyurl.com/....
Sign: Petition: http://tinyurl.com/....
This article is for all the dedicated Stop Rush volunteers.
And, of course it is also dedicated to the memory of Richard Myers.
Recommended by Weezerr1
- Per [http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/15/living/childrens-choice-book-awards-2014/index.html?hpt=hp_t2 a CNN story today], Rush Limbaugh has been chosen "author of the year" in the Children's Choice Book ...12 comments 12 Recs
- Since when is Rush Limbaugh a moral example for kids? Conservative radio commentator Rush Limbaugh won the "Author of the Year Award" at the Children's Choice Book Awards for his book Rush Revere ...25 comments 11 Recs
- Last night, Rush Limbaugh was awarded the “Author of the Year” from the Children's Choice Book Awards, and declared, “It was a big deal.” No, it’s not. The award is not fake. It’s the ...19 comments 22 Recs
- Since Rush Limbaugh pulled off a Bush v Gore voting coup to shamelessly steal the "Children's Choice" Book of the year award, it's time for us to create the title of his new book. I'll start: Rush ...29 comments 7 Recs
- I do like this. In an interview with Italy's La Stampa newspaper, Pope Francis defended his remarks: "Marxist ideology is wrong. But I have met many Marxists in my life who are good people, so I don'85 comments 134 Recs
- Not good enough. That Rush Limbaugh thinks this way really isn't news, but it's a perfect description of the ideology-over-substance obsession that has ...102 comments 172 Recs
- 181 comments 249 Recs
- This news report out of New Mexico is so disturbing, it's hard to imagine this could happen in America. Talk about an unreasonable search: The incident began ...980 comments 1034 Recs
- In this extremely funny and NSFW rant, my new pal Dusty truly cuts to the chase on this entire "Duck Dynasty/Free-the-Hate Speech" embroiglio in a way that no one else has before. http://www.youtube.335 comments 422 Recs
- We have already reports of Kossacks being blocked at Twitter because of false spam reports. Here is the advice needed to avoid a politically biased abuse of a needed Twitter function. Should we ...9 comments 21 Recs
- No current results.