A friend of mine posted something on Facebook that I found thoughtful and inspiring. With permission, I'm sharing that post here (below the fold).
Occasionally my career takes me to remote parts of the globe. The nearest population center could have just a few hundred people and may be tens or even hundreds of miles away, yet we have internet access thanks to a company we contract with that connects us to the web via satellite.
I recently worked at one of these remote locations and would like to tell you about my experience.
To begin, there were two types of access. I'll call them Personal and Corporate.
Personal access was available to any employee and allowed you to surf the entire internet at a cost of 10¢ per minute to the user. Corporate access was available only for mid-level management and above, and was limited to the company site and a few other domains that were useful for management to be able to surf for their jobs, and it was free to the user. Connectivity for each was via dedicated wireless networks. There was one network for Personal access and another for Corporate access.
Now that you have the big picture, let me fill you in on the details and a surprise I discovered toward the end of my contract.
Today I had a good laugh thanks to a long-time conservative friend, and I wanted to share it. It started with me posting a link to this diary by lilongo on my friend's Facebook timeline and asking his opinion. See, he's an experienced local politician from my home town and I wanted to get his opinion on the diary.
I believe that Sarah Palin's use of the term "Blood Libel" was not a mistake or a poor choice of words. It was a calculated trap that predictably caused various Jewish groups to condemn her words, thereby falling into the trap.
To understand why I believe this, we need to go back to the 1970s-era roots of the current anti-government movement of which Palin and many others of the far right media are either actively a part of, or at minimum echo the sentiment thereof. These people believe that there is a global, anti-Christian, liberal (communist) conspiracy to bankrupt America and create a New World Order. The details of this vast liberal conspiracy, including names, were regularly reported in a far right, anti-Semitic newspaper that was published from 1975-2001 called "The Spotlight," as well as by a related far right organization called F.R.E.E. (the Fund to Restore an Educated Electorate).
I'm beat, but came across this as I was checking out for the night, and just wanted to alert y'all to an article running on Yahoo News right now:
WASHINGTON - The Pentagon has abandoned its limit on the time a citizen-soldier can be required to serve on active duty, officials said Thursday, a major change that reflects an Army stretched thin by longer-than-expected combat in Iraq.
Here's the link, as of 11:00pm CST: http://news.yahoo.com/...
More on the flip.
Instead of putting your computer to sleep, put it to work for your country! Put it to work for the NSA!
Hi, I'm Don Weber, spokesman for the NSA.
In the last few years, we here at the NSA have collected so much information about terrorists all around the world that we don't have enough manpower to process it all. Heck, we've even enlisted the help of the entire FBI, (heh), and STILL we're incredibly short-handed.
So we're asking for YOUR help. It's easy! And best of all, it's FREE!
[Hear the whole thing on the flip]
Being in a newsroom allows me to see a part of the world of media most people do not, so please allow me to share a conversation I overheard last night at work.
But first, I must quickly set the stage and introduce the players:
I have two computers at home. dKos is home on one of them. I can, and have, spent hours a day reading through the diaries and comments, following links to their sources and reading them, looking things up in the dKosopedia.
I'm lucky. I have time to do this. To inform myself. And seeing how many people come here to read and write, I can see that I'm not the only one.
But we who have this time, and inclination, to inform ourselves are in the minority. By far.
Recommended by shaggydaahoud
- I teach a college course on jazz and hip hop at a Southern California university, and after listening to Fox's Bill O'Reilly bloviate last week about how hip hop and rap are to blame for declining ...76 comments 168 Recs
- This morning it was announced that John Nash, famed mathemtician was killed on the New Jersey turnpike in a tragic car crash that claimed his life and that of his wife. John Forbes Nash Jr., the ...63 comments 257 Recs
- On November 4, 2008, President Barack Obama proclaimed the following in his election night victory speech : "This is our time, to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our ...145 comments 215 Recs
- I didn’t really think I’d be rich either, except for a very small part of my brain that thought I’d be rich and famous when I grew up. Like, you know maybe I’d grow up to be a band. I guess ...177 comments 300 Recs
- I got a fundraising thank you from Bernie a little while ago, and I just have to say how wonderful it feels to see his name in my inbox rather than the name of someone who wants my money and support,13 comments 22 Recs
- Yeah really, you expected that from me, ha ha ha. ;-P I have had the pleasure, ever since I became eligible to vote, to do so for Bernie Sanders. The first time I saw him speak I was seven or ...490 comments 503 Recs
- I am a white son of Ferguson, Mo. I am a son of Dellwood, Castle Point, Moline Acres, Jennings, St. Ann, Riverview Gardens, Northwoods and Normandy and north St. Louis County. I am a St. Louis ...142 comments 459 Recs
- Nashville is now the "It City," according to the NY Times. With this vaulted status has come a rush of rapacious developers looking to make a pile. This has led to an affordable housing crisis as ...3 comments 3 Recs
- Reports are flying that the large Chicago Cumulus radio ...208 comments 396 Recs
- Pure of heart Eight-year-old Gabi Mann has been feeding crows in her family's Seattle backyard garden for about four years now. It started as an accident: Gabi's ...308 comments 612 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.