The current ROV is Number 46. Please move there. Thanks!
You are NOT in the current BP disaster ROV.
Please DO NOT Rec this diary, rather rec the Mothership REC THE MOTHERSHIP instead. She needs your love to stay afloat.
Please be kind to kossacks with bandwidth issues. Please do not post images or videos. Again, many thanks for this.
For a description of the mothership/ROV liveblogging process, check out this thread.
For definitions of oil industry words, visit here.
BP put up a video explaining the LMRP procedure and the future plans.
BP has a good diagram of the cutting process.
Crashing Vor has posted an important diary listing things you can do to help the Gulf Coast.
- Watch it live: Government oil spill tracking site launches soon
- Oil spotted about 9 miles off Florida coast
- Oil hits Mississippi barrier island Tuesday
- BP doesn't want photos of dead animals
Please DO NOT Rec this diary, Rec the Mothership here.
Here is a tutorial on the sources of pressure on the well
Here is an excellent image of what is supposed to exist under the wellhead. Take the comments from Halliburton with a grain of salt since this is part of their "blame those two" PR campaign.
The video feeds we are watching:
CNN Video Streams - Note: multi-view is sometimes unavailable.
PBS - this is the only security compliant link, according to one Kossak
BP videos - Links to all available live feeds from BP
WKRG - Mobile/Pensacola - Appears WKRG only has a still shot right now.
ABC 7 Chicago Live Video - Multiple ROV Camera Views (h/t to temptxan for the great find)
Vote For America's awesome clickable multi-view
Another nice multi-view
A multi-view with feeds from BP, C-SPAN-2, WKRG, and PBS
Courtesy of whitis here are two additional video links:
And thanks to geeks at The Oil Drum, perhaps a complete list of all possible video feed sources, for Windows Media Player:
BP "Official" #1
BP "Official" #2
BP mystery feed #1
BP mystery feed #2
Subsea 7/MSV Skandi Neptune Hercules-14 #1
Subsea 7/MSV Skandi Neptune Hercules-14 #2
Subsea 7/MSV Skandi Neptune Hercules-6 #1
Subsea 7/MSV Skandi Neptune Hercules-6 #1
SS7? Herc6? #1
SS7? Herc6? #2
SS7? Herc6? #3
Veolia/XLX 36 #1
Veolia/XLX 36 #2
Oceaneering mill21 q4000 upper extension
Oceaneering mill21 q4000 upper extension duplicate?
Enterprise ROV #2 backup
Boa ROV 1
Boa ROV #1 Backup
Again, to keep bandwidth down please do not post images or videos.
Links, courtesy of several Kossacks
- h/t dov12348's recommended links
- The Oil Drum
- Oil & Gas Journal
- Offshore Magazine
- Petroleum News
- Your Oil and Gas News
- World Oil
- Administration response to spill.
- Donate to SkyTruth here. SkyTruth helps environmental NGOs use remote sensing (pictures taken from space) and digital mapping to improve their scientific credibility, conservation decisionmaking, communications and public outreach.
- Images of the Oilpacalypse, from Tomtech.
- Visit the Oil Spill Crisis Map to see where oil, mousse, tar balls, and eau de crude have been reported on the Gulf coast.
- The BP Deepwater Horizon Unified Command official website. Wherein you can read latest post warning of employment scams associated with the event and much more from the folks handling this.
- Timeline of response here.
- Timeline of the Event from April 20th being maintained by blogroots.
- Department of Energy BP Deepwater Horizon Spill site updates.
- Bit Tooth Energy blog (technical discussions) by the famed Heading Out, well known key poster on The Oil Drum blog site.
- Department of Interior BP Deepwater Horizon Response site provides updates, reports, data, links to pictures, etc.
- Rigzone for specific disaster news and news about the offshore industry, in general.
- BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Quantitative Data - from whitis
- Courtesy of profgoose here is a list of links from The Oil Drum links on newer developments, etc
- Maritime ship tracking -- courtesy of johnsonwax
- U.S. begins criminal investigation into oil spil
- NOAA Spill tracking site
- ERMA: Environmental Response Management Application
Previous liveblog ROV diaries:
Liveblog ROV 44 - Pakalolo
BP Liveblog ROV 43 -Tomtech
BP Liveblog ROV 42 -Garrett
BP Liveblog ROV 41 -Yasuragi
BP Liveblog ROV 40 -hester
BP Liveblog ROV 39 -OpMama
BP Liveblog ROV 38 -Tomtech
BP Liveblog ROV 37 -khowell
BP Liveblog ROV 36 -splashy
BP Liveblog ROV 35 -conchita
BP Liveblog ROV 34- OpMama
BP Liveblog ROV 33 -yawnimawke
BP Liveblog ROV 32 -Pam LaPier
BP Liveblog ROV 31 -splashy
BP Liveblog ROV 30 -nika7k
BP Liveblog ROV 29 -khowell
BP Liveblog ROV 28 - tomtech
BP Liveblog ROV - Diary 27 - Yasuragi
BP Liveblog ROV - Diary 26 - Alkalinesky
BP Liveblog ROV - Diary 25 - Tomtech
Daily Kos POST-Top Kill, Junk Shot, LMRP Diary #24- hester
Daily Kos POST-Top Kill, Junk Shot, LMRP Diary #23- nika7k
Top Kill Liveblog ROV 22- papicek
Top Kill Liveblog ROV 21 - weatherdude
Top Kill Liveblog ROV 20 - joanneleon
Top Kill Liveblog ROV 19 - nika7k
BP TKJSLMRP LiveBlog - Diary 18 - yawnimawke
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 17 - weatherdude
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 16 - politik
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 15 - RhymesWithUrple
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 14 - johnsonwax
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 13 - Middleagedhousewife
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 12 - nika7k
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 11 - Overseas
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 10 - conchita
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 9 - khowell
BP TKJS LiveBlog - Diary 8 - Garrett
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 7 - miep
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 6 - Alkalinesky
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 5 - Liveblog
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 4 - Garrett
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 3 - sc kitty
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 2 - conchita
Top Kill LiveBlog - Diary 1 - khowell
Top Kill has begun! - Tomtech
h/t to Garrett, who in diary #42 made me smile by quoting lyrics of some of my favorite songs about the sea.
First, because it's one of the closest to home, and one of my many "most favorite" Jimmy Buffett songs, I'll repeat one he did yesterday:
Sun shines on Biloxi
Air is filled with vapors from the sea
Boy will dig a pool beside the ocean
He sees creatures from his dreams underwater
And the sun will set from off toward New Orleans
Sails are just like wings
Wind can make 'em sing
Songs of life, Songs of hope
Songs to keep your dreams afloat
And now I must confess
I could use some rest
I have run at this pace way too long
It's quite insane
I think it hurts my brain
But it cleans me out, and then I can go on
Tab Benoit - Voice of the Wetlands
When I'm feeling the weight of the water
Lord I know there's blues in the Quarter
If I could hold back my tears and make it there I'd be alright
But I might need you, New Orleans, every night
And I don't know where I'd be without you
When you've been there for me all the while
From Lafayette, to Thibodaux to Lake Charles
And from Cocodrie to Shreveport to Grand Isle
Now when I'm feeling the pain, the bayou's calling my name
And that's an offer I can't refuse
I say it's hard to miss you Louisiana
Lord when a Cajun man gets the blues
I say it's hard to miss you, good ol' Louisiana
Ah, when this Cajun man got the blues