- Today's comic from Matt Bors is The Muslim Hipsterhood:
- It seems like the Navy may have judgment problems:
Navy officers were aware that in 2004 Aaron Alexis was arrested for shooting out the tires of a car in a black-out fueled by anger, and yet they admitted him into the Navy and granted him security clearance in 2007 anyway, a senior Naval officer told CNN.
"It appears as if investigators were aware of the incident, interviewed him and were satisfied that it did not preclude granting the clearance," the officer said.
- Curious to know what Texas state Sen. Wendy Davis is doing next? You'll find out on October 3, she announced in an email to supporters.
- France's parliament is in the process of banning child beauty pageants because they promote "hyper-sexualization" of children. I guess this means there won't be a French version of Toddlers and Tiaras, then?
- What gets edited how much at college newspapers?
- Hamilton Nolan tackles the Wall Street Journal as it tackles a really important question:
Nine and a half million American families are living in poverty. Four out of five 18-24-year-olds did not have a full time job last year. At a time like this, we must be brave enough to ask ourselves: Will New York City's next mayor attend our glamorous charity ball??
- Atheist PAC launches to promote equality for nonbelievers:
Although a growing number of Americans say they are not affiliated with any religion, Congress has just one member who says the same. A new political action committee is hoping to level the playing field.
On Wednesday, the Center for Humanist Activism launched the Freethought Equality Fund, which it's billing as the first nontheist political action committee with a full-time paid staff.
- Five lies about Muslims Fox News told you.
- If you've read that piece that's circulating about how Gen Y is wretched because everyone believes they're special, read Adam Weinstein's rejoinder:
You have no idea about student debt, underemployment, life-long renting. “Stop feeling special” is some shitty advice. I don’t feel special or entitled, just poor. The only thing that makes me special is I have more ballooning debt than you. I’ve tempered the hell out of my expectations of work, and I’ve exceeded those expectations crazily to have one interesting, exciting damned career that’s culminated in some leadership roles for national publications. And I’m still poor and in debt and worked beyond the point where it can be managed with my health and my desire to actually see the son I’m helping to raise.
- Starbucks is finally asking customers not to bring their guns in for coffee.
- On today's Kagro in the Morning show, have we finally squashed the "too soon" reflex? (Has Olbermann ever come around on that?) "How to silence the NRA." "The Growing Myth of Mass Shootings and 'Gun-Free Zones.'" Joan McCarter explains Congressional budget chaos & maps out how we got here. The 2nd part of "repeal & replace" is out, but it's a secret. News breaks that the House CR will... raise the debt ceiling! "The money behind the shutdown crisis." Gin and Tacos on CR cheerleading at The Corner. "Five biggest worries heading into the budget showdown." "Navy Yard Shows Fallacy of NRA's 'More Guns' Solution."
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.
You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Are you sure you want to remove your recommendation? You can only recommend a diary once, so you will not be able to re-recommend it afterwards.
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?
Choose where to republish this diary. The diary will be added to the queue for that group. Publish it from the queue to make it appear.
Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?
Recommended by Laura Clawson
- Yes, it's been a while since I've done a GunFAIL update here at Daily Kos. But no, I never stopped keeping records on accidental shootings, guns left behind in bathrooms, and the like. In fact, I ...83 comments 257 Recs
- I am sad, but also excited, to announce that after 11 years I am leaving Daily Kos and joining Raintank , where I will be working on monitoring software and doing devsy-opsy. It's been a long and ...120 comments 293 Recs
- On Saturday at 8 AM PT, the tech team will be moving Daily Kos from its current web host to Amazon's Web Services. We'll be taking the site down for an estimated one to three hours while we move our ...132 comments 136 Recs
- To give voice to 35 workers killed on the job over the past 35 years at a massive refinery in Texas City, hundreds of surviving family members, co-workers and friends gathered there last month to ...4 comments 19 Recs
- Like many, I am watching the terrible events in Baltimore play out, and am also following the very disturbing details of Freddie Gray's death as they are revealed. I'm writing tonight because the ...115 comments 164 Recs
- Watching the discussion around the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) gives me a nasty sense of déjà vu. Long before joining AFGE, I worked as a food service worker, licensed practical nurse, and ...178 comments 209 Recs
- Americans across the political spectrum need to rise up and stop Fast Track now! The good news is that overwhelmingly House Democrats will vote No! The bad news is that lined up against them, and ...4 comments 14 Recs
- At the American Association of Editorial Cartoonists in Washington, D.C. in 2012, Dan Perkins appears with Sparky the Penguin, his avatar and a leading character in his cartoon This ...60 comments 222 Recs
- This is no plea for pity for corporate kingpins like Walmart and McDonald’s inundated by workers’ demands for living wages. Raises would, of course, cost these billion-dollar corporations ...7 comments 19 Recs
- Tonight, starting at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT and running for about 15 hours, we will be taking Daily Kos offline to implement a major upgrade to the infrastructure behind the site. There should be no ...239 comments 179 Recs