Well, the story is that the current nominee for the #2 job at Homeland Security, Alejandro Mayorkas, is under investigation for helping Hillary Rodham Clinton's brother Anthony in his quest to obtain investor visas for Chinese nationals after the initial application and appeal failed. The Huffpo story is here.
Breaking Illinois political news: Lisa Madigan just announced she will run again for attorney general and will NOT challenge Governor Pat Quinn, as has been widely anticipated.
Here's a short round-up of some of what happened in Illinois last night.
First, Democrats have a veto-proof majority in both the State house and State senate. In fact, Democrats hold 40 seats, for the first time ever for either party, so this is historic. Pat Quinn, the Democratic governor, wasn't up for re-election this year, and he has major policy differences with Democratic legislators.
Sure, it's fun to laugh at ole Abe Simpson's speech last night at the convention. But I think we're letting Jeb! (the "smart" one) off the hook too easily. I think there's enough laughter to go around to him, too.
I could not believe his opening remarks. And I quote from Faux News (mistakes and all):
Thank you! Welcome to Florida.
Before I began my remarks, I have something personal I would like to share with you. I've been so blessed to be part of a family that has committed its life to public service.
My granddad and my father have been incredible role models for me and served our country honorably. And My brother, well, I love my brother.
This is so depressing. No, infuriating. On the day that Fortune magazine prints a long expose about "Fast & Furious" being, well, neither fast nor furious, various news outlets are reporting that some number of House Democrats will vote to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in criminal contempt.
The John Edwards jury has come back with a verdict on one count only. There are 6 counts. The judge has asked the jury to go back and discuss the other counts "this afternoon", but there was no indication whether or not the judge would ask the jury to deliberate after that.
Last night, Lawrence O'Donnell filleted Mitt Romney over his contention that (in Romney's words), education is the "civil rights issue of our era". No, Mitt. Civil rights were the civil rights issue of your era.
Short diary to say that the Bill Press radio show will be simulcast on Current TV, starting sometime in March.
Stephanie Miller has also been teasing a "big announcement" for March, and changed her vacation from March to last week.
Is she the follow-up show to Bill Press on Current TV?
I guess we'll find out in about 40 minutes.
Good counter programming to, well, EVERYTHING else on morning TV!
There are a couple of other diaries about the finger-wagging episode when President Obama met Gov. Brewer in Arizona. Here's another take from David Keller of the Phoenix Congressional Oversight Examiner: "Did Tipsy Arizona Governor wag finger in Presidents face?"
The guinea worm is nearly extinct, largely thanks to the work of Jimmy Carter and his Carter Foundation.
A friend of mine recently received a campaign mailer from Richard Aborn, who is one of three Democrats running in the primary for Manhattan District Attorney. He was good enough to send it on to me, and it is hilarious.
Today I've been listening to the chatter about the murder of Dr. Tiller. I can't take it anymore.
Recommended by tcdup
- "She voted for the war!" "She's an unapologetic hawk!" "She's just another Dick Cheney when it comes to foreign policy!" These are the charges I've heard over and over again for years...and as a ...384 comments 48 Recs
- (photo credit: Doug Mills, NYT) From The Guardian : Barack Obama has secured support from Gulf leaders for his attempt to reach a nuclear deal with Iran as a summit outside Washington ...57 comments 194 Recs
- I see that liberal outrage has managed paradoxically to save the bacon of Luis Lang, a conservative who refused to sign up for Obamacare and then complained that it was Obamacare's fault when he didn'16 comments 15 Recs
- Much has been made in the last few days of Jeb Bush's seemingly insane statements that he would have supported the invasion of Iraq that occurred under his brother's leadership even knowing what we ...15 comments 17 Recs
- 135 comments 62 Recs
- In the past few years I have witnessesed an exponential increase in the number of teachers begging for money from strangers. These teachers want to spend some money on a pet project, or a class trip,114 comments 163 Recs
- The biggest threat to Hillary Clinton winning the ...227 comments 114 Recs
- Jebya! Own man, my foot. From The Washington Post : When asked this week at an exclusive Manhattan gathering about who advises him on U.96 comments 56 Recs
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's administration is in court ...66 comments 83 Recs
- Responding to pleas from Texas Governor Greg Abbott the White House releases the following statement “We plan to withdraw all US military personnel and close all bases by December 2015” In a ...239 comments 591 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.